Deloitte’s 2021 Global Marketing Trends report explains how marketing trends have drastically changed in the last few years, primarily because of the pandemic. Furthermore, it contends that nearly 70% of C-suite executives have begun valuing digital solutions. The intent of using digital solutions is to enhance customer experience management and ensure long-lasting customer relationships. In today’s market, customers need a personalized experience, and digital marketing management solutions serve this purpose. Not only does it provide an excellent customer experience, but it also makes for a flourishing career choice. Therefore, let’s explore what digital marketing management is, how it fares as a career option, its relevant skills, and what you could earn once you master the same.
What is Digital Marketing Management?
Digital marketing management is an amalgamation of digital marketing and management fields. Specifically, digital marketing is online marketing, or marketing through the internet using social media channels, websites, apps, or emails. This encompasses various strategies such as email marketing, content marketing, social media marketing, influencer marketing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO), and Search Engine Marketing (SEM).To implement a successful digital marketing strategy, brands use various channels and tools. Moreover, the comprehensive management of the entire digital marketing team of a business is called digital marketing management.
Skills Needed for Digital Marketing Management
As a digital marketing manager, your roles and responsibilities are all about developing and managing digital marketing strategies for the company. These include identifying and implementing the latest digital marketing tools and techniques and analyzing consumer responses to the marketing campaigns. To perform these responsibilities effectively, you need the following digital marketing management skills:
Technical Digital Marketing Management Skills
- SEO and SEM: You need advanced knowledge of SEO and SEM techniques to become a digital marketing manager. These include intent analysis, server management, copywriting, SEO forecasting, Google Analytics, Google AdWords, and more
- Social media marketing: Pay-Per-View (PPV) and Pay-Per-Click (PPC) marketing strategies—as well as inbound and outbound marketing—help in generating leads. You also need to focus on identifying micro and macro influencers relevant to your industry
- Big data analytics: You should be comfortable using big data analytics tools for digital marketing management to perform activities like text mining and user profiling, especially with the increasing use of social media.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI) and automation: Artificial intelligence tools are integral to your digital marketing strategy. Many companies across the globe are actively using AI tools for targeted and personalized marketing, as well as to stay ahead of their competitors
- Strategic planning: Designing and executing digital marketing campaigns require excellent strategic planning. This must also align with a company’s overall business goals and objectives. Learn how to figure out your target audience, understand consumer behavior, conduct market research, and plan a creative strategy on how to deliver value for your target audience
- Team leadership: Since companies use multiple online channels for digital marketing, they’ll need coordinated and efficient digital marketing teams. A digital marketing manager ensures effective communication between team members, resolves disputes, and motivates team members
- Project management: A digital marketing project is composed of stakeholders, objectives, tasks, and timelines. You need excellent project management skills to ensure that the project gets completed on time and does not exceed the budget
- Budgeting and financial management: A digital marketing manager has to allocate or approve marketing budgets: This involves tracking expenses and monitoring the ROI of different marketing campaigns
- Communication and collaboration: Effective communication and collaboration with internal teams as well as external stakeholders or clients are integral in digital marketing. A digital marketing manager must ensure effective communication between cross-functional teams and with clients and vendors
- Analytical and data-driven decision-making: Data interpretation skills are highly valued in digital marketing. These allow you to collect, sort, and analyze data from market research and automation tools to make data-driven decisions
- Adaptability and flexibility: The digital marketing industry is highly dynamic. You should attain adaptability and flexibility to keep up with the changing times and follow the latest market trends.
Scope of Digital Marketing Management
The global digital marketing industry has grown phenomenally in the last few years. Specifically, in 2022, its market size was $321 billion. Moreover, this amount is expected to reach $671.86 billion by 2028. As the digital marketing industry continues to evolve, the need for skilled digital marketing management professionals is also likely to skyrocket.
Salary for Digital Marketing Management
The average annual salary for digital marketing managers in the U.S. is $123,573. In addition, for senior digital marketing managers, the average annual salary goes up to $165,888. With that in mind, let’s also take a look at the average salary for digital marketing management professionals in different U.S. states:
|State||Average Digital Marketing Management Salary|
How to Become a Digital Marketing Manager with Emeritus?
Step 1: Learn Advanced Concepts of Digital Marketing
Learning the fundamental digital marketing strategies can help you secure a digital marketing job. However, for digital marketing management, it is necessary to have advanced skills like data analysis, content creation, and customer relationship management. Emeritus helps you acquire popular digital marketing skills.
Step 2: Gain Experience
Once you learn the fundamentals and advanced concepts of digital marketing, you need to implement your learning to gain practical experience. You can work on digital marketing projects with a company as an executive or freelancer.
Step 3: Create a Portfolio
After gaining relevant working experience, you can create a portfolio of your ideas, strategies, and campaigns executed by you. This helps you showcase your experience and what you bring to the table while applying for digital marketing management positions.
Step 4: Networking
The next step is to connect with digital marketing professionals and leaders that can help you learn new skills and the latest trends. Networking can also help you secure job opportunities. With Emeritus digital marketing courses, you get the opportunity to learn from industry leaders and connect with them.
Step 5: Apply for Digital Marketing Jobs
Lastly, you need to apply for digital marketing management jobs. Remember to conduct market research beforehand to understand the standard salary bracket for these roles. Being good at salary negotiation also helps you secure well-paying opportunities. To conclude, digital marketing trends are constantly evolving. Moreover, there is intense competition among businesses related to marketing and advertisements. Unfortunately, there is no definitive ideal handbook for a successful career path in digital marketing. However, you will receive a lot of learning from mentors or colleagues. Therefore, Emeritus can help advance your digital marketing career through its digital marketing courses, taught by industry leaders around the globe.
By Sneha Chugh
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org