In the age of digital marketing, businesses are relying on high-quality content to put their product or service at the top of the search pages and at the top of customers’ minds. Whether it is through a blog, a video, a podcast, or any other online material, content marketing helps establish expertise, improve brand awareness, increase engagement, and boost revenue. This is why budgetary allocations on content marketing have only been increasing. So let’s learn more about what is content marketing, how it works, and why it matters.
What is Content Marketing?
Content Marketing Institute defines it as “a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
Why Companies Invest in Content Marketing?
Many companies are realizing the potential of content. According to Content Marketing insights for 2022 by CMI, 43 percent of companies increased their budget in 2021, and 66 percent of companies expected to increase it further in 2022. Here is why:
- Creates engagement, sales, and leads
- Offers excellent Return on Investment (ROI) in the long term
- Helps you reach potential customers
- Enhances brand trust and builds a strong relationship with the audience
- Makes your business visible online, helps you rank higher in search engines, and increases your social media following
- Positions your company as an expert in your industry
Types of Content Marketing
Now that you know what is content marketing, here are the domains in which you can create content.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and content marketing are two vital marketing tools. By using the right keywords, your content becomes visible to search engines and ranks higher in the search engine results pages (SERPs).
2. Social Media
Social media such as Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest, are established tools for driving traffic to your website, growing brand familiarity, and connecting with customers.
Infographic is a graphic visual representation of content. They effectively communicate complex information and tell a story, engage the audience, and increase brand awareness.
Through podcasts, you can create audio content and increase your brand reach. According to the Insider Intelligence Podcast Industry report 2022, there are about 424.2 million global podcast listeners.
This includes creating quality videos to promote your product or service. These days most social media platforms have a high focus on video content.
How Does Content Marketing Work?
Stage 1: Awareness
Your content should be educational and informative, such as whitepapers or guides, or e-books. It should make customers aware of your product or service while they are researching the solution to their problem.
Stage 2: Consideration
At this stage, the user is already aware of your offering and is ready to be persuaded. Content such as free webinars, samples, and catalogs will help them consider you as their choice.
Stage 3: Closing
Here, you can focus on driving the sale by explaining why they should choose you by offering demos, expert opinions, and so on.
Examples of Content Marketing
There are several examples of content blogging such as HelloFresh that regularly create a wide range of content that adds value, links to services, and boosts brand awareness.
Vox has several daily and weekly podcasts such as Today, Explained, Unexplainable, and Worldly that helps them connect with listeners, build followers and enhance brand awareness.
How to Get Started With Content Marketing?
- Identify your target market
- Determine the content needs of your company
- Choose a platform best fit to showcase your content
- Identify resources such as content creators, editors, and content managers
- Create a strategy and keep track of it
How to Set Content Marketing Strategy?
To make sure the budget is well-used, a clear strategy is important.
- Set goals and objectives
- Determine your audience
- Do a competitive analysis and utilize it to create better content
- Do a content audit on your existing content and identify the gaps
- Perform keyword and topic analysis
- Identify and allocate your resources
- Create a content calendar
- Create and promote your content
- Score your content and make adjustments to your strategy accordingly
Traits of Successful Content Marketing
- Provides value
- Doesn’t have keywords stuffed into the content
- It contains different types of content
- Leverages content by cross-linking
- It is consistent across all forms of content
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should I Educate My Customers?
By educating your customers, you are creating value and building long-term relationships with them.
How Long Until My Site is Number 1?
If your goal is to achieve immediate success, content marketing is the wrong medium. You will need patience and an effective content strategy.
Can I Learn Content Marketing Strategies Online?
Yes, you can learn content marketing online from the comfort of your own home! Click here to view all of our online content marketing courses.
How Much Does Content Marketing Cost?
Costs can vary depending on your goals, strategy, and resources.
We hope this guide to what is content marketing will help you get started on creating effective content. It is a key part of digital marketing skills, which you can upgrade through Emeritus’ wide range of digital marketing courses from the world’s best universities.
By Krati Joshi
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org