blog / Coding
Top 13 Full-Stack Developer Interview Questions and Answers to Prepare in 2023
Currently, there are 42,000+ openings for full-stack developers in the U.S. alone. According to Indeed, the average annual salary for a full-stack web developer is $100,000, making it one of the hottest tech jobs of 2023. However, with such high wages and bright career prospects, landing a job as a full-stack web developer can take time and effort. In this article, we look at some of the frequently asked full-stack developer interview questions and the best ways to answer them to improve your odds of getting that job.
How to Prepare for a Full-Stack Developer Interview
Besides having an impressive resume, aspiring developers can also take the following steps to prepare for the technical interview round.
1. Master the Fundamentals
To crack any full-stack developer interview, you must master the basics of the subject. These include the fundamentals of data structures, such as object-oriented programming, string manipulation, and control flow.
2. Research the Company’s Tech Stack
Another excellent way to prepare for a stack interview is to research and gain knowledge on the company’s stacks. For instance, you can analyze an organization’s GitHub repositories to identify the libraries and languages they employ in their stacks.
3. Practice Live Coding
Candidates are often given an assignment of correcting a ‘broken code’ during a technical interview. The bugs will need to be located and fixed. This is done to see if you can recognize code blocks, read test specifications, and make changes as required. Therefore, being familiar with live coding will help you crack such rounds.
4. Prepare for the Build Challenge
In a building challenge, interviewers can ask candidates to create a web 2.0 application with boundary conditions. They may add further restrictions to minimize options and assess your adapting capacity. To be successful in a building challenge, you need to know the intricacies of an application’s stacks.
ALSO READ: What is Full-Stack Development? The Ultimate 2023 Guide
Common Full-Stack Interview Questions and Answers
To help aspiring candidates ace full-stack job interviews, we have outlined the important questions that are most commonly asked.
2. Tell Me the Skill Required to Crack a Full-Stack Development Interview Question.
Without this question, a full-stack developer interview will be incomplete, especially for a candidate interviewing for an entry-level role. For such a question, discuss how proficient you are in front-end (Angular, React), server-side (.NET, Java), and database (SQL Server, Oracle) components, as this is crucial to crack the interview.
3. Tell Me the Difference Between AMD and CommonJS.
4. Tell Me About the Event Loop.
Although Node.js is a single-threaded programming language, it allows concurrency through callbacks and events. Node.js employs async function calls to manage concurrency because each of its APIs is asynchronous and runs on a single thread. Node uses an observer pattern.
The Node thread maintains an event loop, and after a job is finished, it fires the associated event, informing the event listener function to begin processing the event.
5. Tell Me the Difference Between ES6 And ES5 Function Constructors.
The body of the code initializes the object’s properties upon creation in the ES5 version, where constructor functions are expressed using the function keyword. Contrarily, the ES6 version uses the constructor keyword to declare the constructor function, executed when an object is created.
6. Tell Me About the Concept of Continuous Integration.
Utilizing automated and custom-developed codes for testing is known as continuous integration. This process helps developers quickly deploy codes during the production phase. These codes are automatically checked. Continuous integration helps detect code errors rapidly and locate them more easily.
7. What is Pair Programming?
One of the fundamental components of extreme programming is pair programming, which involves having two developers work simultaneously on the same terminal. One developer, known as the ‘driver’, types the codes, while the other, known as the ‘navigator’, is in charge of reviewing them.
8. Tell Me About the Concept of Multithreading.
The process of multithreading enhances CPU performance. In general, it refers to a program’s capacity to handle many requests from the same user simultaneously or to be administered by multiple users simultaneously. Multithreading is done by executing multiple processes that the operating system can support.
9. What is CORS?
Cross-origin resource sharing, or CORS, is a method for gaining access to different web resources on multiple domains. Web scripts can be more freely connected with external content from the original domain with the aid of CORS. This further promotes improved web service integration.
10. Tell Me the Importance of DevOps.
DevOps is a relatively new phrase in the IT industry. It simply refers to a methodology that emphasizes the collaboration and communication between software developers and IT operational experts. It is also essential for accelerating the delivery of software products and reducing release failure rates.
11. Explain the Difference Between REST and GraphQL.
Here are the main differences between REST and GraphQL:
- REST is an architectural style that imposes a number of limitations on how web applications are built while GraphQL is a server-side technology utilized to run queries and retrieve data
- GraphQL takes the form of a schema and REST is implemented utilizing a series of endpoints
- Mutations in GraphQL must be sent as string messages, but for REST mutations, there are no restrictions on the message format
12. What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Using ‘Use Strict’?
- Prevents accidental creation of global variables
- Makes code operations that would otherwise silently fail to throw an exception
- Makes attempts to delete undeletable properties
- Defines the name of the function parameter distinctively
- Suspends the functioning of confusing code features
- Many functionalities that the developers may be accustomed to are absent
- Function. caller and Function. arguments elements are no longer accessible
- Issues could arise from the concatenation of scripts written in various strict modes
13. Tell Me the Latest Trends in Full-Stack Web Development.
Candidates often encounter a question on the latest industry trends in a full-stack developer interview. Therefore, while applying for full-stack development jobs, you should be aware of the following recent updates:
- Rise of Vue JS Functional, real-time web applications, mobile web development, and progressive application development
- The evolution of more compatible web extensions
Important Tips for a Full-Stack Interview
Here are some additional tips to help developers sail through full-stack interviews with confidence:
- Build in-depth coding knowledge and a substantial project portfolio
- If you can pick up code from your portfolio to answer questions using real-life examples, it improves your chances of cracking the interview
- To diversify your portfolio, try to add language to your repertoire
- Get hands-on experience in automation testing and be efficient at debugging code
- Last but not the least, make sure to work on your communication skills. It’s one thing to know about programming, web services, and databases, but describing their finer details effectively is an entirely different ballgame
Nail Full-Stack Interviews with Emeritus
If you need help with your full-stack developer interview preparation, join Emeritus’ online coding courses. These courses will also help you build hands-on coding expertise, strengthen your portfolio, and make the odds of success work in your favor.
By Rupam Deb
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org