Enterprises across various industries are embracing the decentralized ledger concept due to its transparency and enhanced security. In fact, due to the rapid adoption of blockchain technology, Gartner predicts its business value will surpass $3 trillion by 2030. As a result, this technology will provide more than 40 million jobs globally by 2030. Therefore, it’s no surprise that top companies are seeking in-house blockchain developers to expand their businesses. If you are among those hoping to build a career in this field, take a look at what a blockchain developer job description requires of you, including the skills, qualifications, and experience needed to ace interviews.
Blockchain Developer Responsibilities
In a blockchain developer job description, the key responsibilities include the following:
- Creating the protocol for blockchain technology, setting up a network security pattern, and developing consensus procedures
- Directing and designing the network topology
- Using a variety of programming languages for blockchain system development, testing, and building application functionalities
- Establishing security measures to prevent various cybercrimes and utilizing encryption to defend against hackers and other internet threats
- Introducing new technology for improving the security of existing blockchain networks and educating other members of the team on new upgradations
- Keeping track of backend development for blockchain and creating an interactive frontend for Decentralized Applications (dApps)
Blockchain Developer Skills
1. Cryptography Knowledge
A solid understanding of cryptography can help create a secure blockchain ecosystem. Blockchain engineers need to be familiar with cryptography concepts and methods, such as digital signatures, wallets, and keys.
2. An Understanding of Digital Contracts
Direct business transactions between two parties are made possible by smart contracts. Since smart contracts have now become a central component of blockchain implementations, developers should know what they are and how they enforce business logic.
3. Website Development Capabilities
Blockchain engineers need to be highly skilled web developers. They must be proficient in website development, design, security, and optimization.
4. Programming Languages Proficiency
Blockchain technologies commonly use a range of programming languages, including Java and C++, depending on the implementation platforms for the blockchain settings. Therefore, proficiency in computer languages is an in-demand skill.
5. Business and Finance Idea
Finance and payments are closely related to the real-world uses of blockchain. Hence, besides acquiring technical abilities, blockchain developers need an understanding of how the financial world functions as blockchains are widely used in the fintech space.
In addition to these technical skills, having strong interpersonal skills like effective communication, presentation, and collaboration are career-enhancing.
The Role of a Blockchain Developer
A blockchain developer, in a nutshell, is an individual who develops software for the blockchain protocol architecture. Their regular work entails creating and improving algorithms that conform to and operate on the blockchain protocol, which is built on top of the standard Internet Protocol (IP) to function as the internet for blockchain-powered devices.
Sometimes the roles can vary in terms of the tasks a developer has to perform and hence, they are broadly categorized into two types.
- Core Blockchain Developer: A core blockchain developer engages with blockchain at the most fundamental level. They are in charge of creating the blockchain architecture, which entails selecting the system protocol, and the consensus mechanism.
- Blockchain Software Developer: Blockchain software developers maintain a high-level interaction with the blockchain. Their role is to utilize the algorithms developed by core blockchain developers and implement them into their own applications for creating dApps.
Apart from this, a blockchain developer’s role also involves the following:
- Building a Secure Database: Blockchain is a distributed, immutable database that can assist to reduce fraud inside of an organization.
- Improving Data Security: Data is encrypted using cryptography by the blockchain creator. As a result, hackers can no longer gain access to important data and compromise the system.
Blockchain Developer Job Description: Top Duties and Qualifications
The following is a typical blockchain developer job description that most organizations share. The job overview, duties, and qualifications will help you understand the position better:
We are seeking a candidate with exceptional programming skills who can develop blockchain code. The candidate must be updated with the latest developments in blockchain platforms like Ethereum and Bitcoin. Must possess sound cryptography knowledge to construct secure applications for the organization. Must be familiar with blockchain data structures such as trees, graphs, and hash tables.
- Utilizing several programming languages to build application functionality
- Defending users against a range of cybercrimes
- Creating and maintaining a distributed blockchain-based network
- Researching, analyzing, building, and testing various blockchain applications
- Working closely with management and other functional teams to determine the needs for blockchain technology development
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information security, or a closely related discipline
- Must have a minimum of two years of experience as a blockchain developer
- Should have high-level knowledge of programming languages like Python, Java, and C++
Blockchain Developer Experience Requirements
The roles and responsibilities of blockchain developers change with the level of seniority. The following are the blockchain developer experience requirements, depending on the position:
Junior Blockchain Developer (1-3 years experience)
- Maintaining the client-side and server-side application
- Documenting the details of the development process
- Implementing tests and continuous integration for blockchain applications
Intermediate-Level Blockchain Developer (4-9 years experience)
- Collaborating with the team to develop and deliver blockchain solutions
- Writing test-driven application source codes
- Implementing interfaces utilizing existing developer tools
- Optimizing and securing the blockchain applications (dApps) via cryptographic techniques
Senior Blockchain Developer (9+ years experience)
- Leading the research and development of blockchain technologies
- Collaborating with the management to outline the blockchain needs of the organization
- Delivering optimized solutions by utilizing existing technologies or via means of innovation
Blockchain Developer Salary
According to Glassdoor, the average salary for blockchain developers is $1,05,961 per year in the US. The compensation varies based on several parameters such as qualifications, skills, experience, and location.
Learn Blockchain Developer Skills
Given the growth in the use of blockchain technology, many top companies are looking out to hire talent for creating secure databases. Hence, now is the right time to enter this growing field in order to gain a fresh market advantage. So, if you are planning to pursue a career in blockchain development, explore Emeritus’ wide selection of online technology courses to build the skills and expertise you need as per the blockchain developer job description.
By Rupam Deb
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org