The ERUDITUS group is a leader in the $280 billion global professional education market. In the last fiscal year, the group enrolled 30,000 students from across more than 80 countries in courses delivered in collaboration with university partners such as MIT, Columbia, Harvard Business School, INSEAD, Tuck at Dartmouth, Wharton, UC Berkeley and London Business School. The ERUDITUS group expects to increase its enrolment by more than 200% in the coming fiscal.
EMERITUS offers professional education courses in collaboration with top-ranked universities: MIT, Columbia, Tuck at Dartmouth, Wharton, UC Berkeley and London Business School. Using technology and curriculum innovation, EMERITUS enables working professionals who cannot enroll in full-time courses to access a top-tier, affordable education that will give them the skills needed to be the business leaders of tomorrow. EMERITUS’ global team includes 500+ employees located in Boston, Dubai, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi and Singapore.
- Seeking a highly qualified Senior Counsel who will work in our CEO Office and will work in a variety of areas including: contract negotiations, license agreements, partner agreements, vendor contracts, client contracts, employment law, education law, partnerships, legal audits, legal compliance, compliance with US government regulatory requirements; registration and maintenance of intellectual property portfolio; management of lawsuits; and direction of other legal and risk management activities. A large focus will include privacy-related issues.
- This person will be a true business partner, and advisor to the CEO, executive team, and other key leaders across the business. The ideal candidate will balance legal know-how with commercial and business risks and will have the ability to operate in a fast-paced, dynamic global environment. The Senior Counsel will be our first Legal role in the U.S.
- Provides verbal and written advice and guidance on a broad range of legal and regulatory compliance issues to management to minimize Company’s liability exposure and maximize benefits to the Company.
- Identifies, recommends, and manages engagement of outside counsel when needed to ensure effective, timely and cost-efficient resolution.
- Remains current with changes in applicable laws, regulations, rulings, securities regulations and reporting requirements.
- Leads the day to day legal function in the U.S., contributing to business strategy while maintaining legal and regulatory compliance
- Handles a variety of tasks in a fast-paced start-up environment that may include working on Education law (Title IV, Title IX etc), Employment law, Litigations etc.
- Provides guidance on a variety of privacy-related topics, such as:
- California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
- Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA)
- Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography And Marketing (CAN-SPAM) Act
- Mexican Federal Law on the Protection of Personal Data
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Works closely with Business Development; advises and negotiates complex legal and business transactions such as Master Collaboration, Service, Strategic Partnership and Co-Commercialization Agreements.
- Supports and collaborates with a wide array of departments including Business Development, Operations, HR, Finance, Product, Engineering to achieve corporate goals
- Assists with various legal matters including general risk management, global data privacy policies and employment.
- Assist with a variety of corporate matters including organizational documents, company structure, board governance and management of corporate entities.
- Resolves legal issues and lawsuits cost effectively. Coordinates discovery, document production and depositions with outside counsel.
- Tracks lawsuits through Monthly Litigation Summary. Reports on status and development in lawsuits as required.
- Law Degree from an ABA accredited law school and license to practice in Massachusetts
- 5-10+ years of professional experience, including both in a law firm and in-house
- Experience in client counselling and a client service focus, capable of interacting with and providing guidance to a wide range of people and personalities, including faculty, students, venture capitalists, attorneys, partner institution IP professionals, industry executives and staff at all levels, board of directors, in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Experience in data privacy and compliance
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and the ability to quickly communicate complex issues clearly and succinctly to a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Strong organizational skills, including careful attention to detail and ability to handle and prioritize multiple assignments and maintain strict deadlines through effective time management
- Entrepreneurial, self-starter and highly independent
- Experience in the Education, Start Up or Academic industry preferred
- Experience in both private and public companies preferred
- Experience in M&A, entering new geographies, and IPOs preferred
- Experience in Latin America, specifically Mexico, and ability to speak Spanish a plus
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
- Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM)
EMERITUS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.