Rapid digital and technological transformation has created a vast market for mobile and desktop software applications, leading to high demand for software engineers. But if you’re a beginner, the best way to advance your career in software engineering is to work on practical, research-oriented projects that help you acquire the necessary skills and knowledge of various engineering concepts and practices. Here are 11 software engineering projects you can work on to gain coding expertise and enhance your CV.
Why is Project-Based Learning Effective?
Project-based learning is a teaching methodology that focuses on helping students gain advanced knowledge and skills by working directly on practical projects. It is more effective than traditional classroom learning as students get to work on real-life challenges. This helps them develop the core employability skills required in a particular sector. Students can also use the practical knowledge they gained while developing software engineering projects for advanced academic research.
11 Interesting Software Engineering Projects for Beginners
Android Task Tracker
You can create a tracker app powered by an Artificial Intelligence (AI) chatbot for Android mobile phones. This app can remind users about their daily tasks and meetings by sending a notification. It also allows users to set their daily goals and track productivity at the end of the day.
You need Android studio tools, XML designing, and resource files to build the project. In addition, to work on this project, it is essential to know Java programming, object-oriented programming, and basic Structured Query Language (SQL).
- Sends regular notifications to remind the user about pending tasks
- User-friendly and supports easy navigation
- Easy to scale by adding integration features
- Building this app requires minimum hardware. Therefore, it is cost-efficient and can be developed quickly
- This app is supported only on Google Play on Android phones; you’ll need to modify it if you want to use it for iOS or Windows
ALSO READ: What is Coding?
Fingerprint Technology-Based ATM
This project is a biometric-based desktop application that allows users to withdraw money from ATMs using their fingerprints without the need for a debit card.
- Performs many banking transactions like withdrawing cash and viewing account balance
- You can add extra security features for double protection
- Encrypted transactions as all fingerprints are unique
- Reduces dependency on credit cards and the hassle of remembering ATM pins
- Personal data protection and confidentiality are the two major challenges of a fingerprint-based ATM, as fingerprints and other personal information can be stolen by hackers, increasing the risk of cybersecurity fraud
Employee Management Setup
An employee management system is a web-based application that allows companies to store all employee information in one place. In addition, it keeps track of employee performance by automating the management system. To build this project, you need an Arm controller, fingerprint module, integrated circuit, crystal oscillator, keypad, and power source module.
- Beginner-friendly, Python-based software engineering project
- Remote access
- Provides restricted access to various stakeholders
- Helps optimize human resource departments in large companies
- Increases transparency and helps track employee performance
- Faces data security challenges
Fingerprint-Based Voting Application
This is a biometric-based software application that enhances transparency and efficiency in the voting process. Voters can log in to the web application from anywhere through the Internet and use their fingerprints to cast their votes. To build this project, you need an ARM controller, fingerprint module, integrated circuit, crystal oscillator, keypad, and power source module.
- Keeps a record of identity proof for quick and easy verification
- Supports easy scalability to add more users
- Reduces the risk of vote tampering and promotes a fair election process
- Poses a significant security risk as the system stores identity cards and sensitive personal information of the users
Local Train Ticket Booking Application
It allows users to book local train tickets and get online receipts. You need to create two accounts for local train ticket booking applications—an admin account and a user account. Customers can log in from an individual user’s account and fill out the online form to book train tickets. You need an Android software development kit (SDK), Java development kit (JDK), Notepad, an Android debug bridge and Windows XP software to build this project.
- An admin account manages ticket requests and checks the booking history of travelers
- Users can select a train, source and destination, and travel class on the app
- Enhances the booking experience for users
- Reduces the hassle of printing booking receipts
- It is difficult to constantly update train routes and railway fares on the application and hence does not provide accuracy
Patient Tracker Application
This is one of the medical sector’s most beneficial software engineering projects. It allows medical practitioners to keep track of their patient data, including name, age, diseases, treatments, and cost. Also, it helps them record the medical history of all their patients and reduces paperwork.
- Smooth user interface (UI)
- Efficient database management
- Multiple filters for quick search of patient records
- Reduces paperwork
- Data can be accessed remotely
- The app contains sensitive personal data, which results in a high data security cost
Data Leakage Detection Setup
Security breaches and data leakages are common in the modern world. This causes substantial financial losses to individuals as well as large organizations. You can build an advanced data leakage detection app or program that instantly alerts the user about potential security breaches by tracking unauthorized systems that have access to data.
- Discovers sources of data leakage
- Stores data in small packets for efficient leakage detection
- Helps ensure privacy
- Enhances customer trust
- Mitigates financial risks
- This setup is expensive as it requires advanced technology for maximum data protection
Credit Card Safety Application
This application detects credit fraud by analyzing user patterns and alerts in case of spam. It also uses location-based technology to detect strange transactions or activities and automatically asks for account verification or authentication. Also, it blocks hackers from using the credit card after three unsuccessful attempts. This reduces credit card fraud risks.
- Analyzes previous transaction history of the user to understand patterns
- Sends alerts on detecting unusual credit card activities
- Reduces the risk of financial losses
- Blocks hackers from using credit card information
- The app stores the confidential financial information of users and requires secure networks and data protection technologies, all of which means you need to invest a large sum for this software engineering project
AI-Powered Shopping System
An AI shopping system can be designed to provide product recommendations to users based on their preferences and purchase history. This technology offers better responses when you feed it a large amount of data so that it can understand consumer behavior and preferences.
- Ensures customer data protection with unique login IDs and passwords per user
- Offers custom product recommendations based on the user’s search entry
- Enhances the shopping experience for customers
- A user-friendly design allows easy navigation
- Increases the risk of purchasing counterfeit items
Camera Motion Sensor Setup
You can build a camera motion sensor setup to maximize security at homes and offices. This setup requires advanced sensor technology that continuously detects motion. It sends an alert to detect unusual activity and instantly sets off the alarm.
- Gets activated upon entering a security code
- Uses a motion detector algorithm to detect constant movements
- Remote camera footage access
- Helps prevent crimes like burglary or shoplifting
- It can raise false alarms, which need to be deactivated before entering the house
Health Management System
A smart health management system is an AI-based application that analyzes body mass index (BMI), stress levels, inactivity, and the users’ sleeping patterns based on data input. It also provides suggestions for maintaining a healthy lifestyle and helps with breathing exercises.
- Allows users to connect with health practitioners and nutritionists online
- Has a wide database containing various diseases and their symptoms
- Helps users maintain a healthy lifestyle and achieve their fitness goals
- Can help identify diseases at an early stage based on symptoms
- It’s an AI model that provides results based on the user’s inputs, so it cannot ensure complete accuracy
You need basic knowledge of Java, Python, and SQL programming languages to build these software engineering projects. To advance your career, you can enhance your coding and programming skills with online technology courses from Emeritus.
By Sneha Chugh
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org