What is HTML?
As a formatting system that allows users to display information or material retrieved over the Internet, Hypertext Markup Language (HTML) is one of the primary computer languages. HTML comprises code words and syntax and is considerably simple to integrate, understand, and learn. In HTML, each retrieval unit is called a web page and such pages often contain hyperlinks to access associated web pages. Therefore, HTML is the language used to encode web pages.
From its inception at CERN by Sir Tim Berners-Lee in the 1980s, HTML has grown immensely in scale and scope. At the same time, the functioning of the language has remained relatively straightforward. HTML markup tags specify various document elements such as headers, paragraphs, images, and tables for display in a web browser. In turn, the browser interprets the tags and displays the document in a format that is optimized to the screen size and available fonts, thus offering a seamless digital experience.
Why is HTML Important?
HTML finds its application in several diverse fields, from web page development to game development usage. It also facilitates web document creation, online navigation, and offline capabilities. The importance of HTML can be broken down into the following key benefits.
- Website Accessibility - Open and impartial access to websites makes the Internet a democratic space that caters to a diverse global population. HTML helps indicate the pressure points with a potential for blockage which prevent search engines and individual users from accessing a certain webpage.
- Search Engine Optimization - Cohesive and lucid code goes a long way in helping with search engine optimization (SEO), therefore leading to better website traffic. This is especially crucial as SEO can be a complex process to navigate. On any given day, there are a million websites that are vying for the best position on search engines. Well-written HTML, therefore, is essential for webpages to stand out in the crowd and gain traction.
- Website Maintenance - Owing to its relative ease of use, HTML allows web developers to quickly make changes to web pages without disturbing any other process or element. This, in turn, helps conserve resources with respect to managing client sites and also streamlines a potentially tedious and extensive task.
Can I Learn About HTML Online?
In addition to video tutorials, seminars, boot camps, and books, several online HTML courses have emerged and are rapidly gaining popularity. Not only do these courses allow for program flexibility but are also designed to equip the learner with thorough knowledge of the basics before they progress to the more complex aspects of HTML. Furthermore, many online HTML courses are offered by some of the most renowned global educational institutions and include certification. They are also excellent networking opportunities as students are exposed to individuals with similar passions and expertise in a space conducive to growth at any level of proficiency.
What Kind of Career Can I Get with a Background in HTML?
Coding and software development are intricately entwined and both fields continue to see unprecedented growth at present. Here are some of the lucrative job roles in HTML:
- User Interface Developer
- Web Developer
- Web Project Manager
- Technical Support Specialist
- Technical Virtual Assistant
- Front-end Developer
- SEO Specialist
Why Take an Online Course at Emeritus?
Each Emeritus online course is designed by a team of experts keeping key learning outcomes. We use the backward design methodology to develop instruction for learners of all ages. This enables us to craft unique, interactive, learning experiences that include a combination of assessments, hands-on activities, skill applications, and more.
Emeritus also collaborates with the best universities and faculty around the world to curate a course curriculum that can effectively tackle present challenges in the industry, while preparing students for the trends and risks in the future. Our courses consist of assignments, exams, capstone projects, networking opportunities, a fine balance of practical and theoretical concepts, and the opportunity to learn from the top minds in the industry. This adds to a holistic experience for each learner.
We are also clear in our goal of providing courses that are standardized in quality. This is done by adhering to the standards set by a global organization called Quality Matters which focuses on providing quality standards for online and innovative digital teaching and learning environments. The rigorous criteria ensure all our learners invest in easily accessible and affordable quality education.