Emeritus collaborates with over 50 universities worldwide to bring you comprehensive futuristic learning experiences in various subjects. Below you will find courses with a curriculum designed to help you learn or become more proficient in data analytics. Some courses require no experience and will help you learn the fundamentals of data analytics, while other courses are more advanced and designed for those aiming to build on their existing skills in data science and data analytics. Click on individual courses below to learn about the curriculum, duration, eligibility, highlights, and learning outcomes.
What is Data Analytics?
In the digital world, data is currency. Consequently, data analytics plays a crucial role in the way we interact with it. It helps us make informed decisions and derive value from enormous chunks of information.
There are several advantages to data analytics. First, it fuels faster and better decision-making and helps businesses take prompt action. Second, it is a cost-efficient process of storing and analyzing large volumes of data with the help of versatile data processing tools. Lastly, data analytics goes a long way in empowering organizations to thrive in a data-driven environment.Related:
How to Learn Data Analytics?
Data analytics is growing in leaps and bounds. In the World Economic Forum Future of Jobs 2020 report, the field ranked first in terms of demand. More importantly, it makes for a lucrative career across various industries. Therefore, learning data analytics is an investment for the future.
In this regard, it’s crucial to hone your foundational skills in the subject by enrolling in online data analytics courses. A well-structured program covers basics, such as data types, data processing, data analysis, visualization, and using data to gain new insights.
Related: How to Become a Data Analyst
What skills should I have before learning data analytics?
With modern society generating two and a half quintillion bytes of data daily, it presents a golden opportunity to sharpen your data analytics skills. Critical thinking combined with strong interpersonal skills is one of the biggest factors in succeeding in data analytics. Also, it’s worth noting that almost 82% of hiring managers expect every employee to have basic data literacy.
The requirements to become a skilled data analyst can be divided into technical and soft skills. Technical skills include:
- Data visualization - Data visualization refers to the graphical presentation of data. This allows for a better understanding of data-driven insights, even for those untrained in data analytics.
- Data cleaning - One of the most crucial steps in manufacturing a functional machine learning model, data cleaning paves the way for streamlined data sets. This, in turn, produces accurate, and sometimes astonishing, insights.
- MATLAB - MATLAB is a multi-paradigm computing environment and programming language that supports a host of functions, such as matrix manipulation, data plotting, and algorithm implementation. Proficiency in MATLAB renders a data analyst highly reliable and resourceful.
- R - R comprises several in-built and simple data organization commands and is one of the most popular programming languages available. It’s a useful tool in tackling vast volumes of data and is generally preferred by large businesses.
- Python - This high-functioning and general-purpose programming language is a prerequisite for a career in data analytics. It offers a spectacular array of specialized libraries and its undeniable association with Artificial Intelligence (AI) makes it particularly vital.
- SQL and NoSQL - An aspiring data analyst must be fluent in a few database languages. While SQL remains the gold standard for handling data in relational databases, NoSQL is indispensable for larger datasets.
- Machine learning - An understanding of machine learning can greatly boost one’s potential as a data analyst. This is more so due to unprecedented growth in the fields of AI and predictive analytics, both of which rely heavily on machine learning.
- Linear algebra and calculus - Advanced math skills are non-negotiable when it comes to pursuing a career in data analytics, specifically the two subjects mentioned above. Linear algebra creates the foundation for machine and deep learning whereas calculus is invaluable in creating the cost/loss/objective functions on which algorithms operate.
- Microsoft Excel - The classic spreadsheet from Microsoft is a workhorse that continues to reign supreme with a user base of approximately 750 million worldwide. It employs its programming language to build pre-recorded commands that perform repetitive tasks in a time-efficient manner.
What Jobs Use Data Analytics?
A solid grasp of data analytics leads to endless career possibilities, including some of the most high-paying jobs in the world. A solid grasp of data analytics boosts proficiency in data strategy, data governance and management maturity, data risk, and data literacy.
Aspiring data analysts can pursue several lucrative careers, such as business intelligence analyst, data scientist, data engineer, quantitative analyst, data analytics consultant, operations analyst, marketing analyst, IT systems analyst, and transportation logistics specialist.
Why take an online course at Emeritus?
Each Emeritus online course is designed keeping key learning outcomes in mind by a team of experts. We use the backward design methodology to develop instruction for learners of all ages. This enables us to craft unique, interactive, learning experiences that include a combination of assessments, hands-on activities, skill application, and more.
Emeritus also partners with the best universities and faculty around the world to curate the course curriculum that can effectively tackle present challenges in the industry, while preparing you for the trends and risks in the future. Our courses consist of assignments, exams, capstone projects, networking opportunities, a fine balance of practical and theoretical concepts, and the opportunity to learn from top minds in the industry. This adds to the holistic experience we try to provide for each learner.
We are also focused on providing courses that are standardized in quality. This is done by adhering to standards set by a global organization called Quality Matters which is focused on providing quality standards for online and innovative digital teaching and learning environments. The rigorous criteria ensures all our learners invest in quality education which is easily accessible and affordable.
Can I work full-time while learning data analytics online?
Having learned the basics, digging deeper into a specialized skill set is a reasonable way forward. Interacting with SQL, Python, or revisiting linear algebra is key to mastering data analytics and gaining a thorough overview of the subject matter. In addition, setting aside a little time each day can significantly improve one’s proficiency in data analytics even while working a full-time job.
How valuable is an online data analytics certificate?
From early-career professionals to experienced job-seekers, everybody stands to benefit from an online data analytics certification. Offered by prestigious institutions, online data analytics courses train you to employ the right tools to gain expertise in the field. To top it off, the certificate easily gives you an edge over potential job-seekers.