What is Marketing?
Good marketing begins not with the brand or the product, but with the customer. For any business to grow, it must connect with its customers and tailor itself to their needs. This may seem opposed to the traditional concept of marketing, that is, build a product and figure out how to sell it. But with consumers becoming increasingly knowledgeable and wary of hype, it’s time for organizations to reverse the conventional thought process and orient themselves to suit the customers’ mindset.
In his book, Philip Kotler who is touted as the father of modern marketing, emphasizes social marketing which stems from the belief that marketing has the potential to create real change. Purposeful marketing can be a benevolent driver of the capitalist economy by improving the lives of workers and customers alike.
Delving into customers’ needs offer crucial insights that inform the main narrative; this is essential to crafting a compelling marketing campaign. Currently, experts also focus on internal marketing as one of the foundations of mindful marketing that accounts for the social climate.
How To Learn Marketing?
The COVID-19 pandemic has seen a sharp rise in marketing. Global expenditure on advertising is set to increase by 8% in 2022, with encouraging numbers, especially for North America and the Asia Pacific. Needless to say, it is one of the most valued skills that employers presently seek.
Consequently, this has led to more and more people striving to hone their marketing skills. Books are an excellent place to start. Numerous publications penned by some of the brightest minds in marketing offer useful insights and projections on the subject and are valuable resources for experienced professionals.
Alternatively, and to take a faster route, one can also avail of an online marketing course. They are offered by many platforms that collaborate with top universities. Learners can enrol in advanced programs on social and digital marketing, marketing analytics, and marketing strategies. Mostly self-paced and conducted by professionals, online marketing courses are designed to significantly boost one’s career in the field.
What skills should I have before learning marketing online?
Apart from a solid grasp of theory and ample real-time experience, marketing requires a wide range of soft skills. Some of these include:
- Communication - Communication forms the core of marketing. As a marketer, it is essential to be able to not only express oneself but also convince and engage with customers mindfully.
- Problem-solving and creativity - Essentially, marketing involves delivering an impactful message that strikes a chord in the target audience. At a time when we are bombarded with information and ads, a successful marketer must be able to cut through the noise and stand out.
- Adaptability - In our tech-driven world where everything, from statistics to social media trends, changes in the blink of an eye, marketers must be able to change with the times. Adaptability plays a crucial role as it enables one to keep up with emerging technology, demands, and practices — all of which are the pillars of strong marketing.
The emphasis on soft skills, however, does not take away from the need for technical expertise. An able marketer has many skills under their belt, some of which are listed below:
- Writing - With all kinds of communication being key in marketing, effective writing skills are a must. Clear, concise, and persuasive writing serves a marketer very well and helps build strong connections with the target customer base.
- Data analysis and marketing analytics - Marketing doesn’t stop at a successful campaign; it’s important to measure that success in terms of profits and ROI. In other words, in terms of data. Equipped with data analysis skills, even an experienced marketing professional can strive for better numbers and make informed decisions regarding future strategies.
- Research - Crafting campaigns require strategy, and a strategy without research is meaningless. The quality of marketing strategies is significantly improved when informed by thorough research; this leads to better results. Research in marketing can entail several things, such as examining competitors’ campaigns, learning about new products in the market, surveying customers for feedback, and growing one’s network.
What Jobs Use Marketing?
Marketing is on a perpetual growth spurt no matter the fiscal situation. Despite a volatile economy and the Great Resignation, as businesses put it, marketing jobs are expected to grow by 10% by 2030. However, it’s important to note that there has been a shift in the specific marketing jobs that employees now flock to. As opposed to more traditional roles, social media and digital marketing specialists are in higher demand, as per a recent LinkedIn report.
That said, long-established jobs in marketing will always hold immense value. Some of these roles include marketing strategist, marketing manager, account manager, market researcher, and SEO specialist.
A marketing degree is beneficial to several diverse roles, such as business advisor, product manager, UX designer, public relations executive, marketing executive, and retail merchandiser.
Why take an online course at Emeritus?
Each Emeritus online course is designed keeping key learning outcomes in mind by a team of experts. We use the backward design methodology to develop instruction for learners of all ages. This enables us to craft unique, interactive, learning experiences that include a combination of assessments, hands-on activities, skill application, and more.
Emeritus also collaborates with the best universities and faculty around the world to curate the course curriculum that can effectively tackle present challenges in the industry, while preparing you for the trends and risks in the future. Our courses consist of assignments, exams, capstone projects, networking opportunities, a fine balance of practical and theoretical concepts, and the opportunity to learn from top minds in the industry. This adds to the holistic experience we try to provide for each learner.
We are also focused on providing courses that are standardized in quality. This is done by adhering to standards set by a global organization called Quality Matters which is focused on providing quality standards for online and innovative digital teaching and learning environments. The rigorous criteria ensures all our learners invest in quality education which is easily accessible and affordable.
Can I work full-time while learning marketing online?
Emeritus online marketing courses are instructor-led and packed with information and exercises that learners of all levels can attempt. Dedicating some time regularly (weekly) can greatly boost one’s proficiency in marketing. Therefore, working full-time while pursuing an online degree is doable.
How valuable is an online marketing certificate?
A certificate is proof that one has a close understanding of marketing, its fundamentals as well as the more advanced concepts. Most online marketing courses offer certification that highlights not only is a job-seeker aptly skilled but is also driven to learn. Demonstrating such qualities provides a considerable boost to one’s employability.