Columbia Management Essentials (Online)
As the world's leading provider of futuristic learning experiences, Emeritus collaborates with over 50 universities worldwide. Listed below are a few courses that are designed to amplify and enrich your people management skills and your career. These courses are meant for those who are already leaders, senior executives, or participants who may be leaders of a functional department. Take a deep dive into the course by clicking on individual online courses and certification programs below to uncover the curriculum, duration, eligibility, highlights, and learning outcomes.
What are the important skills for a manager?
Some are born with a natural knack for management. The innate ability to maintain order and ensure the completion of tasks is crucial within a team environment. With businesses growing more robust by the day, management skills have become invaluable.
A successful manager possesses a good mix of hard and soft skills. One can learn most of these skills through management training, online management courses, or on the job.
The hard skills required in management are listed below:
- Risk management - Every business is associated with a certain amount of risk. Risk management is the process of making informed decisions to maximize advantages and minimize disadvantages. A proficient manager must be able to gauge potential profits and losses, the stakeholders’ measures of the same, and how each team member can contribute to growth. Ultimately, the manager must allocate resources while accounting for the aforementioned factors.
- Cost management - The “triple constraint” of time, budget, and scope defines a project. Cost management involves striking the right balance among all three and a skilled manager must be able to present an accurate cost estimate to stakeholders. In any business, overshooting the budget is a strict no-no.
- Planning and forecasting - Guiding team members through each project stage is an essential task of a manager. In order to do this, managers create roadmaps where a penchant for organizing is of immense value. Assessing the most appropriate management method, each member’s strengths and weaknesses, and establishing clear, measurable outcomes are important in successful management.
Soft skills refer to intrinsic qualities that are important for ensuring success in a management role. Some of these attributes include:
- Communication - Facilitating cohesion within the team, acting as a point of contact for stakeholders, and interpreting their various needs are tasks that require communication. So it is one of the most powerful skills a manager must grasp. For a manager whose tasks include negotiating and mediating conflicts, clearly written, verbal, and visual communication are essential tools.
- Time management - Management requires planning, forecasting, and scheduling. Needless to say, a proficient manager will have a natural talent for time management. It must be noted, however, that micromanaging can often lead to negative outcomes. This is why a manager must also be flexible and leave room for detraction while setting goals.
- Critical thinking - One of the key factors in management, critical thinking helps managers make informed decisions while working with a set of constraints and predict the possible implications. Critical thinking is also indispensable in analyzing data and implementing information in adverse situations.
What is Management Development?
Management development is part of a vast field of development involving the training and development of human resources to maximize their potential and contribution to businesses.
A management development program is designed keeping in mind the long-and short-term objectives of the organization, its business strategy, and the different strengths and weaknesses of executives. It aims to improve proficiency, impart in-depth knowledge, and enhance the skills of executives to ensure excellence in future endeavors.
Why is ongoing management training important?
It may be clear by now that management is an ongoing learning process. Professionals must sharpen their skills continuously to keep abreast, deepen their expertise, and efficiently manage people.
Management training, often included in online management courses, focuses on improving certain skills required for efficient management. Communication plays an important role as it is closely tied to giving and receiving feedback, a crucial aspect of management. It also facilitates self-evaluation, hones one’s adaptability, and improves decision-making. Given the increasingly dynamic space of businesses, even the most seasoned managers stand to benefit from ongoing management training.
Management vs Leadership
It’s easy to confuse leadership with management; both terms are often used interchangeably. However, while certain overlaps do exist, there are several differences between the roles of a manager and a leader.
Leadership involves creating real-time, non-incremental change that stems from a long-term vision. It includes the ability to empower people to bring that vision to life and create a positive coalition of everybody’s strengths.
Management, on the other hand, focuses on achieving organizational goals by implementing appropriate processes and assembling a proficient team. Put simply, the key difference lies in the approach to objectives and their accomplishment. The leader drives change and establishes desired goals. The job of a robust manager is to ensure the effective execution of said goals.
Why take an online course at Emeritus?
Each Emeritus online course is designed keeping key learning outcomes in mind by a team of experts. We use the backward design methodology to develop instruction for learners of all ages. This enables us to craft unique, interactive, learning experiences that include a combination of assessments, hands-on activities, skill application, and more.
Emeritus also collaborates with the best universities and faculty around the world to curate the course curriculum that can effectively tackle present challenges in the industry, while preparing you for the trends and risks in the future. Our courses consist of assignments, exams, capstone projects, networking opportunities, a fine balance of practical and theoretical concepts, and the opportunity to learn from top minds in the industry. This adds to the holistic experience we try to provide for each learner.
We are also focused on providing courses that are standardised in quality. This is done by adhering to standards set by a global organisation called Quality Matters which is focused on providing quality standards for online and innovative digital teaching and learning environments. The rigorous criteria ensures all our learners invest in quality education which is easily accessible and affordable.
Can I work full-time while learning management skills online?
Most online management courses are self-paced and taught by professionals from top universities around the world. The learning process is smooth and tailored to offer the expertise required to handle emerging technologies and strategies. Setting some time aside regularly can go a long way in sharpening one’s management skills, even while working full-time.