CONSTRUCTION PROJECT MANAGEMENT
As the construction industry boom continues globally, the need for skilled and experienced construction managers is expected to grow in tandem. The US Bureau of Labor and Statistics reports that the national workforce in the construction industry is projected to grow 11% by 2026, faster than the average for all occupations, a gain of about 747,600 new jobs. The Construction Project Management course will help you understand key construction concepts of project planning and project scheduling. Also, it will provide you with the required technical tools to apply these concepts.
The course is aimed at those who want to become construction managers. If you currently work in the construction industry in any role and intend to become a construction manager, this course is right for you. This course is also aimed at those who want to start their careers as construction managers.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
The Construction Project Management course teaches the most important concepts in managing a construction project: Project Planning and Project Scheduling. The course is aimed at those who want to become construction managers. If you currently work in the construction industry in any role and intend to become a construction manager, this course is right for you. This course is also aimed at those who want to start their careers as construction managers.
WHAT ARE THE LEARNING OUTCOMES?
At the end of this course, participants will learn:
- The fundamentals of project initiation, planning and scheduling
- Frameworks for risk management, project development cycle, and sustainable development
- Methods used for project planning and scheduling which includes Critical Path Method, PERT, Range Estimation, Linear Scheduling and Precedence Diagram
- Technologies for planning and scheduling, like Building Information Modelling, Virtual Reality, MS Project
EMERITUS and Columbia Engineering Executive Education
Columbia Engineering Executive Education is collaborating with online education provider EMERITUS to offer executive education courses.
An EMERITUS Certificate course created in collaboration with Columbia Engineering Executive Education is based on syllabus approved by Columbia Engineering Executive Education, and contains video content created and recorded by Columbia Engineering Executive Education faculty, combined with assessments, assignments, projects, cases, and exercises delivered by EMERITUS. Upon successful completion of the course, learners will be awarded a certificate jointly by EMERITUS and Columbia Engineering Executive Education.
You can read more about the collaboration here.
GET PROGRAM INFO
Take the first step to a Global Education
- Engineering and Construction Industry
- Program, Project, and Construction Management
- Construction vs. Manufacturing Industry
- Project Delivery Methods
- The Lean Theory
- Safety in Construction Industry
- Community Involvement and Diversity
- Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) of Construction process
- Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Technology Trends in Construction
- ESPRIT Framework for Risk Management
- Role of Project Manager
- Work Breakdown Structure
- Standard and Project Coding
- Bar Charts
- Activity Precedence Diagram
- Relationship Among Construction Activities
- Determining Critical Path Method
- Types of Floats: Activity Floats, Free Float, Interfering Float
- Work Dates and Calendar Dates
- Drawing an Activity on Arrow Diagram
- Numbering Nodes and Adding Key to Diagram
- Forward and Backward Pass Calculations
- Calculating Probabilities
- Finding Critical Path
- Solving Examples with PERT and Range Estimation
- Introduction to Construction Project Scheduler
- Linear Construction
- Visualizing Line of Balance
- MS Project and Primavera for Scheduling
- Schedule, Analysis and Application
- Integrating Models and Schedule
- Scheduling for Large Programs
- Risk Allocation and Planning
- Lean Scheduling
● Mckinsey Company
Note: All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
Dr. Ibrahim Odeh
Senior Lecturer of Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics Columbia Engineering
Founding Director, Global Leaders in Construction Management
Ibrahim S. Odeh focuses his studies and research on assisting construction firms with strategic management assignments in areas related to strategy and business development; infrastructure and construction market analysis; market entry strategy; and trends affecting the future of the construction market.
EMERITUS follows a unique online model. This model has ensured that nearly 90 percent of our learners complete their course.
- Orientation Week
The first week is orientation week. During this week you will be introduced to the other participants in the class from across the world. You will also learn how to use the learning platform and other learning tools provided.
- Weekly Goals
On other weeks, you have learning goals set for the week. The goals would include watching the video lectures and completing the assignments. All assignments have weekly deadlines.
- Learning Videos
The learning video lectures are by the faculty from the collaborating university. These are uploaded on our learning management platform at the start of the week as per the module. The length of the lectures ranges from 1 minute to 10 minutes. These lectures cannot be downloaded. However, access to them is available for a year from the course commencement date.
- Live Webinars
Live webinars are conducted periodically, and it’s schedule is shared via our learning management platform and calendar invites. These sessions are conducted by EMERITUS course leaders who contextualize the video lectures and assist with assignment related questions. You can ask questions using the Q&A board or the chat box. The recorded link of the webinar is shared within 24 hours.
- Live Q&A Sessions
The course leaders conduct Live Q&A Sessions regularly that last for an hour. This activity is to help participants clarify their doubts about the content. The schedule is shared via our learning management platform and calendar invites.
The EMERITUS Program Support team members will follow up and assist over email and via phone calls with learners who are unable to submit their assignments on time.
- Continued Course Access
You will continue to have access to the course videos and learning material for up to 12 months from the course start date.
Assignments are given out weekly and they are based on the lectures or tutorials provided. They need to be completed and submitted as per the deadline for grading purposes. Extensions may be provided based on a request sent to the support team.
It is an open forum where participants pin their opinions or thoughts regarding the topic under discussion.
EMERITUS Program Support Team
If at any point in the course you need tech, content or academic support, you can email program support and you will typically receive a response within 24 working hours or less.
On completing the course you join a global community of 5000+ learners on the EMERITUS Network. The Network allows you to connect with EMERITUS past participants across the world.
ADMISSION & FEES
DURATION AND COURSE FEE
- Starts TBD
- 3 Months
- 4 – 6 hours per week
- Course Fees USD 1,400
- You can pay for the course either with an international debit or credit card (unfortunately we are unable to accept Diners credit cards), or through a bank wire transfer. On clicking the apply now button below, you will be directed to the application form and the payment page.
- We provide deferrals and refunds in specific cases. The deferrals and refund policy is available here.
- You will be provided a course login within 48 hours of making a payment.
- Please provide your work experience and your current employer via the application.
- You can apply by clicking the Apply Now button
GET PROGRAM INFO
Take the first step to a Global Education
16 DEC 2019 - 09 MAR 2020
Digital Strategies for Business: Leading the Next-Generation EnterpriseColumbia Business School Executive Education
- 3 months
09 JAN 2020 - 25 MAR 2020
Digital Marketing: Customer Engagement, Social Media, Planning & AnalyticsColumbia Business School Executive Education
- 3 Months
05 FEB 2020 - 13 APR 2020
Leading Organizations and ChangeMIT Sloan
- 2 Months