blog / Coding
What are the Top Skills and Qualifications for Java Developers?
Several consumer-facing companies like Netflix, Twitter, and Spotify have excellent apps with smooth user interfaces and user-friendly designs. Even though these apps are all different, they are all built on the Java platform. That is why the role of a Java developer has become a coveted one in the software development industry. Do you want to advance your career as a Java developer but wonder whether you qualify for the role? Let’s go through the Java developer job description to help you get a better understanding of the skills, qualifications, and experience companies seek while hiring Java developers.
Java Developer Job Description
Most Java developer job descriptions posted by companies on their websites or on job portals include a brief about the company, a list of roles and responsibilities of a Java developer at that company, academic and professional qualifications, and preferred skills. Some companies even quote a salary range to help candidates set expectations. Let’s go through the Java developer job descriptions of two companies:
Deloitte Java Developer Job Description
A Java developer at Deloitte has to perform the following responsibilities:
- Analyzing and implementing user requirements to enhance product functionality
- Designing, coding, testing, and documenting software codes and preparing reports
- Performing code reviews and suggesting improvements for efficiency
- Assisting in delivering the finished software products to clients
- Communicating with technical and business leaders to identify requirements and system-related capabilities
- Providing support for software sales by creating presentations and engaging in technical discussions with clients
Accenture Java Developer Job Description
To become a Java developer at Accenture, you need to have the following qualifications:
- At least three years of experience in Java development
- Hands-on experience with Spring Boot, Hibernate, JPA, and other frameworks
- Knowledge of REST services, microservices
- In-depth understanding of RDBMS systems, including MySQL, PostgreSQL, and NoSQL
- Experience in the development of highly scalable distributed systems
Java Developer Job Responsibilities
The majority of Java developer job descriptions list the below-given responsibilities:
- Design, develop, implement, and maintain scalable Java-based applications and software
- Write clean, maintainable, and efficient codes using Java programming language
- Debug and resolve technical issues and improve application performance
- Work with databases such as Oracle, MySQL, and MongoDB
- Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends and technologies
- Participate in the full software development life cycle, including testing, deployment, and maintenance
Java Developer Job Roles
The following are some of the most popular Java developer job roles based on the Java developer job description:
- Java developer: A Java developer is responsible for designing, developing, and maintaining Java-based applications and software.
- Full stack java developer: Their main responsibility is to work on the front-end and back-end development of websites or mobile applications using Java and other technologies.
- Enterprise Java developer: They specialize in developing complex and scalable Java-based applications for large or multinational companies.
- Java web developer: Their role involves developing dynamic web applications using Java.
Java Developer Skills and Qualifications
Java developers must have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field. Many companies even prefer to hire developers with other professional certifications such as Oracle Certified Professional: Java SE 11 Developer (OCPJD and Java EE 7 Application Developer (1Z0–900). However, acquiring the following skills can also boost your career:
- Strong programming skills: A deep understanding of Java programming language syntax, data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented programming principles
- Experience with Java frameworks: Hands-on experience with popular Java frameworks such as Spring, Hibernate, and Struts
- Knowledge of databases: Proficiency in SQL and experience with databases such as Oracle, MySQL, and MongoDB.
- Experience with Agile methodologies: Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies like Scrum, Kanban, and XP
- Problem-solving and analytical skills: Having strong analytical and problem-solving skills to debug and resolve technical issues
- Excellent communication skills: Solid verbal and written communication skills to work effectively with cross-functional teams and communicate with clients
Experience-Based Java Developer Job Description
Fresher Java Developer Job Description
Fresher or junior Java developers are not expected to have core technical Java skills. However, it is best to work on your analytical and communication skills, and gain in-depth understanding of web frameworks and server systems. Their responsibilities include:
- Creating interactive web pages and designing and developing UI using HTML and other frameworks
- Designing and developing Java applications and running tests
- Participating in code review activities
Entry-level Java developers earn an average salary of $63,679 per year. Boeing, ByteDance, and Netflix are some of the highest-paying companies for junior Java developers.
Senior Java Developer Job Description
Companies prefer hiring senior Java developers with a master’s degree in computer science or any related field. The average salary of senior Java developers is $91,188 per year. Their responsibilities include:
- Identifying and analyzing user requirements and writing codes, and improving functionalities based on requirements
- Executing multiple tasks throughout the software development life cycle
- Reviewing, testing, and debugging codes of other team members
- Designing database architecture and preparing documents for various development phases
Experienced Java Developer Job Description
Experienced Java developers with 8+ PQE (post-qualification experience) perform the following responsibilities:
- Designing, creating and implementing Java applications
- Interpreting client briefs to build quality codes that match client requirements
- Creating detailed project reports
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams and departments to define, design, and develop new applications or features
The average salary of experienced Java developers is $112,520 per year. Some of the well-paying companies in the U.S. for senior Java developers are:
- JPMorgan Chase & Co
- General Motors
- Randstad US
Other companies that frequently hire senior Java developers include Infosys, Wells Fargo, Tata Consultancy Services, and Luxoft.
Is Java Development a Good Career?
Java Development is one of the most sought-after careers today. According to Statista, Java ranked as the sixth most popular programming language used by software developers around the world in 2022. With over nine million Java developers around the world, Java also ranks among the top 10 highest-paying programming languages.
ALSO READ: The 10 Most Lucrative Coding Languages to Boost Your Career
In other words, Java is a fundamental and popular programming language. With expert Java knowledge, it becomes easier for you to understand different programming languages like Python, Scala, and Rust. Emeritus’ online coding courses can help you learn Java practical skills and other programming languages to accelerate your career.
By Sneha Chugh
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org