blog / Digital Marketing
Here’s the Ultimate Guide to Social Media Marketing in 2023
Social media marketing is a proven channel used by businesses of all sizes. From marketers using it to sell their products and services to a targeted audience to established brands using it to connect with a global audience, SMM is helping brands to quickly and effectively reach and interact with their potential customers.
In this article, you’ll learn:
- What is social media marketing?
- How does social media marketing work?
- What are the tools of social media marketing?
What is Social Media Marketing?
Social media marketing is defined as using social media platforms to build a company’s brand, increase sales, interact with the target customer, and drive website traffic.
Here are some unique features of SMM:
- SMM has in-built data analytics that allows marketers to track the success of a campaign.
- SMM promotes cross-platform advertisement, allowing brands to connect with their target audience on multiple platforms simultaneously.
- SMM provides easy access to customer data like birthdays, likes, dislikes, ideologies, etc.
At first glance, social media marketing and digital marketing’s definition might seem similar, but they are not. Social media marketing is a branch of digital marketing widely used by businesses.
Importance of Social Media Marketing
- Cost-effective: Social media marketing allows brands to interact with a global audience for free.
- Understand competition: Social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and Twitter allow brands to understand competitors’ marketing strategies.
- Monitor buying patterns of target customers: Social media has an advanced algorithm that helps brands determine the buying pattern of their target audience.
- Develop strong relationships with customers: Social media is an open platform that helps brands connect with their customers.
- Increase brand awareness: Through social media, brands build their social media presence, making them accessible to customers.
Popular Social Media Marketing Tools
Social media marketing is a form of internet marketing. It consists of several tools that use social media as a platform to reach and interact with the target audience.
These tools help track and monitor lead generation, schedule ads and social media posts, curate content, etc. Here are some of the popular social media marketing tools.
- Google Analytics is used for real-time tracking of leads
- Buffer is used for social media scheduling
- HubSpot helps generate quality leads
- Hootsuite manages and operates different social media applications in one hood
- SocialBee helps plan social media content
- Sprout Social provides a social media management solution
- Tailwind is an analytics and marketing tool
Popular Social Media Marketing Platforms
YouTube is a video-sharing application believed to be the second most popular social media marketing platform after Google.
Here are some of the advantages of YouTube:
- High audience engagement and interaction
- Easy to track growth and leads
- Reach the target audience effectively
Facebook is a social media platform that has stood the test of time. It is popular among brands for its unique customer demographics, including people from diverse age groups, social statuses, locations, etc.
It is an effective social media marketing platform for brands looking to connect to diverse customer demographics.
Facebook has easy and prompt back-end operation services that help plan, create, and monitor ads.
Instagram is a photo-sharing app that is widely popular among millennials, and Gen Z. It (Instagram) is used mainly by beauty, food, beverage, and eCommerce companies.
Here are the benefits of Instagram:
- Simple and easy ecosystem
- Perfect for beauty, FMCG, and eCommerce brands
Since its inception, Twitter has focused on words. However, now the platform has expanded to include an audio tool called Twitter Spaces, a community-build tool called Twitter Communities, and Twitter Moments to share essential or exciting updates with followers.
The social media platform is best for brands trying to offer superior customer service, improve PR activities, and retain existing audiences by launching many loyalty marketing strategies.
Here are some other social media marketing tools:
Social media is evolving with each passing day. Therefore, to win over potential customers with your social media marketing strategy, you need to be equipped with advanced skills and knowledge, which can be acquired by pursuing a comprehensive digital marketing certificate. These programmes will help you identify and develop effective campaigns to enhance customer engagement, boost sales and revenue, and improve brand awareness.
Emeritus India offers various digital marketing certification courses in partnership with prestigious institutes like IIM, IIT, and ISB. These courses are designed for fresh graduates and experienced professionals.
How does social media marketing work?
These four activities will help you understand how social media marketing works:
- Research: It is essential to understand the audience’s needs and formulate a strategy around their needs and wants.
- Identifying potential opportunities: Social media provides an excellent space for brands to look for new opportunities crossing geographical boundaries.
- Exploit these opportunities: Keep the brand’s business goals when grabbing an opportunity. Prioritise your business objective, and understand which strategy will yield you the most business.
- Analyse findings: Apply the learning from each SMM strategy to the next one. It will help you to use digital marketing tools effectively.
Which businesses will benefit from social media marketing?
- Small business organisations
- Direct sales companies
- Real estate companies
- B2B companies
What are the vital pillars of social media marketing?
Here are five pillars of social media marketing:
- Social strategy tries to determine the goals of an SMM campaign.
- Planning and publishing, as the name suggests, monitors the consistency of sharing posts, stories, or other online content pieces and the quality of the information shared online.
- Listening and engaging with the audience help identify the pain points, practise good customer service, and boost customer experience.
- Analytics and reporting the engagement and audience’s reaction to their SMM strategy.
- Advertising, i.e., social media, provides a free platform to connect with the audience and publish content to encourage sales and increase brand awareness.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of social media marketing?
Here are the advantages of social media marketing:
- Improved customer satisfaction
- Cost-effective tool
- Increases website traffic and brand awareness
Here are the disadvantages of social media marketing:
- Time-consuming process
- Puts brand image at risk
- ROI takes time to yield
What are some of the challenges of SMM strategy?
- Deciding which social media platform to use
- Understanding the target audience and the ways to reach to them
- Integrating SMM strategies into other digital marketing strategies
- Design unique content constantly