The marketing industry has seen a considerable amount of change in the past three decades. The industry has moved from print ads to digital ads and SMS marketing. The emergence of the world wide web (www) or the internet has also contributed to the change. It has led to a boom in digital marketing.
Many marketing professionals are shifting their focus towards relatively new and untapped digital marketing opportunities to become the flag bearers of change. As the digital marketing field continues to grow, you may be wondering what the industry has to offer you.
The digital marketing industry has a lot to offer, from lucrative job opportunities to innovative marketing techniques ahead of time. So, if you are intrigued about Digital marketing, and want to know more about the job prospects in the industry, then look no further. Here is all you need to know.
Digital Marketing is the art of selling products and services through online media channels like social media, search engines, email, and mobile. The branch of marketing that uses electronic devices for promotion or advertising can be called Digital Marketing. Here are some common jobs available in the digital marketing industry:
- Content Manager and Content Strategists
- Digital Marketing manager
- SEO and SEM specialist
- UX Designer
- Email marketing specialist
- Analysts and AI specialists
We will be discussing the role of a digital marketing manager in detail in the article. So, let’s start with understanding, who is a Digital Marketing Manager? The roles and responsibilities include implementing, overseeing, tracking, and managing a digital marketing campaign. They collaborate with different departments, namely content, design, UX, SEO, and SEM, to ensure that a digital marketing campaign generates enough traffic.
What Does a Digital Marketing Manager Do?
Digital Marketing Manager is one of the job profiles having huge demand in India. Anyone who thrives on the internet is best suited for the job. However, here are some of the many tasks that are a part of the job:
- Managing digital marketing campaigns across different platforms.
- Planning and implementing digital marketing plans and monitoring lead generation and other performance metrics.
- Building a brand’s social media presence.
- Identifying trends and collating them to the brand’s social media page to increase traffic.
- Building and maintaining a web presence, optimizing landing pages, and google ads of clients.
- Collaborating with internal and external agencies for resources like design, content, and others.
What Are the Skills Required to Become a Successful Digital Marketing Manager?
A Digital Marketing Manager must have a mix of hard and soft skills to excel in his/her role. Here are some of the necessary skills required to become a successful manager.
A manager should have strong communication skills to excel in the industry. A marketing professional needs to interact with varied sets of people daily, so having strong interpersonal skills makes it easy to communicate and get work done easily.
2. Organizational skills:
Digital marketing is a dynamic and fast-paced industry. Therefore, only an organized Digital Marketing professional can become successful. A Digital Marketing manager must be equipped with organizational skills to juggle different marketing campaigns as it is one of the most common and important roles of a digital marketing manager.
A successful Digital marketing manager should have strong attention to detail and accuracy while dealing with complicated marketing campaigns. Working professionals can undertake several short-term certification courses in digital marketing to get equipped with these skills.
There is much competition on the internet. Therefore, a manager should shell out new and creative marketing campaigns every time. Creativity is an integral part of a digital marketing manager’s job.
5. Knowledge of social media
The first prerequisite to becoming a successful digital marketing manager is social media knowledge. Since most marketing managers work around social media and search engines, they should be well-versed in the medium to avoid discrepancies.
How To Become a Digital Marketing Manager – Qualifications Required
To excel in any field, you must have a specific skill set for staying ahead of the competition. Since we have discussed the skills required for a digital marketing manager, here are the qualifications for landing a digital marketing manager job in a reputable company.
1. Internet and social media are the domains of digital marketing managers. So, they need to be up to date with new trends and technology. A manager must be well-versed in different technology trends like Machine learning, Artificial intelligence (AR), and data science.
2. A digital marketing manager should be aware of the role of content in digital marketing. Therefore, they should take up different certificate courses in digital marketing to understand the importance of content in marketing and learn a different writing style and creative writing.
3. A digital marketing manager should have years of experience in the marketing industry. To take up a digital marketing manager job, you should have worked on different brand campaigns. It’ll be a plus if you have your blog or social media page as it will add a new dimension to your personality and inspire your team to look up to you.
4. Besides the master’s and bachelor’s degrees, you must take up a certificate course in digital marketing to amp up your professional career. Emeritus offers many online certificate programs to working professionals as well as freshers that offer insight into the working of the industry. So, if you want to have a competitive advantage over others, then consider taking up a digital marketing course.
Average Salary of a Digital Marketing Manager and the Career Prospects
Digital marketing managers’ salaries vary from company to company. Therefore, it is hard to predict the average salary for the role. However, what one knows is that a career in digital marketing is nothing less than rewarding. There is scope for growth and development. So, if you wish to progress in your digital marketing career, then take up an online certificate course in digital marketing from a reputed institution.
Emeritus offers short-term and certificate courses in sales, marketing, digital marketing, and many other domains in collaboration with renowned institutes like the Indian Institute of Management (IIM), S.P. Jain School of Global Management, the Indian School of Business (ISB), and others to provide world-class and affordable certificate courses to everyone across the world.