Over the past three decades, the marketing industry has witnessed a drastic change. From elaborate and innovative print ads to long-running social media campaigns and google ads, the marketing industry has seen an emergence of new marketing mediums. Do you remember the last time you saw a newspaper ad that stayed on your mind for a long time?
As the industry is evolving, many marketing professionals are shifting their focus toward a new form of marketing- digital marketing. Many marketing professionals are, in fact, positive about the boom of digital marketing. Therefore, they are foraying into digital marketing. So, if you are planning to make the switch, embrace these digital marketing interview questions to increase your chances of getting the job on the first attempt.
Top Digital Marketing Interview Questions
1. What is digital marketing?
Digital marketing is the art of selling products and services through online media channels like social media, search engines, email, and mobile. Simply put, any marketing procedure that uses electronic devices for promoting or advertising products/services can be called digital marketing. If the marketing campaign involves digital communication, then it is called digital marketing.
2. What are the different types of digital marketing?
Essentially, do take a look at this digital marketing interview question and answer before you go for the final round. There are many types of digital marketing, some of them are:
- Search engine optimization (SEO) means taking steps to generate an audience by optimizing an online website and ranking it higher than others on search engines like Google, Bing, and others.
- Search engine marketing (SEM) means the procedures or tools undertaken to drive traffic to your website.
- Content marketing is using stories or content to promote your product or services to the target audience.
- Social media marketing (SMM) is using social media to promote a product or service and to reach a larger audience.
- Pay-per-click advertising (PPC) is a common advertising model in which advertisers can place their ads on a search engine, social media, or websites and pay every time the ad is clicked.
- Email marketing is sending professional messages to people
3. What are some of the popular digital marketing tools?
In digital marketing, there are many techniques and tools businesses can undertake to achieve their aim. Here are some of the popular digital marketing tools:
- Google Analytics- A tool developed by the search engine to track the performance of online websites or social media campaigns.
- Ahrefs- They are an excellent tool used for several SEO processes.
- Mailchimp- It is an email marketing tool that groups customers and sends bulk emails.
- Google keyword planner- It is a tool that can assist in determining keywords in social media campaigns.
- Kissmetrics- They are online analytical software that provides critical website insights and customer engagement.
- Keyword discovery- This app provides access to some of the comprehensive keyword indexes. Access to customer search keywords.
- SEMrush- It is a learning tool for gaining visibility and learning about marketing.
- Buffer app- It is a small-to-medium-size business to create content, manages customer engagement, etc.
- AdEspresso- It is a great Meta management app.
As using different tools and techniques in digital marketing are of high importance, mentioning these tools while answering digital marketing interview questions can impress your interviewer.
4. What are the 5 c’s of digital marketing?
5 c’s of digital marketing that are taken into consideration while catapulting a digital marketing campaign are:
SEO Interview Questions
1. How important is SEO in business and what is the importance of keywords?
SEO is the process of making the audience reach the website through search engine advertising. SEO helps the business reach its audience through the help of keywords. Keywords are just a set of words that depict the needs of the customers. Users use keywords to search for products or services. Keywords are the core of SEO. They are crucial in getting better rankings, making it vital to use relevant keywords for the business.
2. What is the meaning of on-page and off-page optimization?
On-page optimization is about building content for a better ranking of the page. It includes working on the website which is inclusive of adding keywords and generating quality content to attract more audiences.
Meanwhile, off-page optimization is making the things behind the website better, like updating the right backlinks and others. It is about your page’s reputation. It includes acquiring backlinks from a different domain for your niche.
3. What are the different types of SEO?
Even if you know about the types of SEO in advance, do read through them once along with the description in order to give crisp answers to such SEO questions in your interview:
- White hat SEO: It is the most popular SEO type that uses techniques to improve the ranking of a website on search engines. It deploys techniques like high-quality content, link acquisition, and restructuring to have long-term growth in ranking.
- Black hat SEO: It exploits different loopholes in search engine rankings to get higher ranks. They are not in accordance with the SEO guidelines and search engine guidelines. Using this technique, you can expect unpredicted and short-term results.
- Grey Hat SEO: It combines both the techniques of Black and White Hat SEO to achieve the desired results.
4. Where can you use keywords to optimize your site ranking?
For better ranking, we must use keywords in the following places on the website.
- Website URL
- Website title
- Meta tag
- Web page content
- Body text
Pay-Per-Click Marketing Interview Questions
1. What are Google ads and tell us some AdWords extensions?
Prepare for this PPC or digital marketing interview question without fail. Find the answer below:
Google AdWords is a platform for businesses to advertise their business through the pay-per-click model. The app is dynamic and allows businesses to track the details of potential customers. The platform also allows controlling of budgets and more. Some common AdWords extensions are:
- Sitelink extension
- Location extension
- Call extension
- App extension
- Review extension
2. What are some of the reasons for your google ads being rejected?
This is an important PPC-related interview question. A few reasons why your ads might get rejected are:
- The content cannot be advertised on the Google platform
- The content breaches the guidelines laid by Google
- The quality standards of your ads and websites do not meet the standards set by Google.
3. What are the prerequisites of a good PPC website?
- A powerful headline for the website
- Effective and persuasive content on the website
- Including images, gifs, etc. to hold the attention of the visitors
- Add statistical evidence, testimonials, etc. like trust indicators to gain the confidence of the customers
- Always have strong call-to-action
Email Marketing Interview Questions
Lately, email marketing has gained importance, which is why there is a high chance that your interviewer may ask questions about it. Below mentioned are a few common email marketing interview questions and answers:
1. How are hard and soft bounce emails different?
Soft bounce emails show that the email has reached the recipient’s email server and bounced back for unknown reasons. Meanwhile, a hard bounce happens when the email has been permanently blocked due to some unknown reasons.
2. How can you improve the click-through rate of an email?
Some ways of improving the click-through-rate of an email are:
- Catch the attention of the reader with an interesting subject line
- Make emails mobile-friendly
- Create short and engaging content
- Add personal touches to your email
- Make the email visually appealing
Social Media Marketing Interview Questions
Do prepare for the below-mentioned and similar social media marketing interview questions:
1. How would you respond to negative comments?
- Acknowledge the comment and try to understand the customer’s perspective
- Act on the problem immediately
- Be in constant touch with the customer even after solving the issue
2. How can you make content go viral?
- Create short and effective content
- Use visual images like pictures and videos to attract the customers
- Use trending hashtags
- Catapult video on trending issues
- Interact with the customers regularly
Content Marketing Interview Questions
- What are the essentials of good web content?
- The content should be short and engaging
- At the end of the content, there should be a call-to-action button- a medium for the reader to take action immediately
- Take references for the content from credible sources, or else your content will be called out for being factually wrong
- Always brainstorm and come up with unique and original ideas
- The content you produce should benefit the customers.
If you wish to expand your knowledge base further in the field of digital marketing, you can consider some of the short-term digital marketing courses offered by Emeritus India. We provide world-class executive education in collaboration with globally renowned universities to individuals from across the world with many digital marketing courses.