In this ever-developing field of technology, artificial intelligence or AI has endless potential to improve and simplify tasks done by humans, including speech recognition, business process management, and even the diagnosis of disorders. This is one of the reasons AI engineers are in high demand across industries.
If you are interested in becoming an AI engineer, it would be best to have answers to questions like:
- What is the role of an artificial intelligence engineer?
- What are the skills needed to be an AI engineer?
- What are the salary and career landscape of an AI engineer?
Who is an Artificial Intelligence Engineer?
Artificial intelligence engineers apply the concept of AI to design applications and systems. This helps organisations boost efficiency, reduce costs, raise profits, and make better business judgments.
Google, YouTube, Netflix, Flipkart, Amazon, Spotify, and other applications are examples of AI engineering in daily life. These applications use machine learning technology to customise recommendations based on user behaviour.
Another popular example is in the health care industry, where AI assists in surgery and generates automated image diagnoses.
In this digital world, the field of artificial intelligence offers compelling opportunities for your professional growth.
What Does an Artificial Intelligence Engineer Do?
Let us look at AI engineers’ scope of responsibilities:
- Coordinate with business leaders and software teams to determine the business process that can be improved using AI technology.
- Create and maintain the AI development process and the infrastructure on the running project.
- Develop AI-driven solutions that imitate human behaviour to execute repetitive tasks presently done by humans.
- Build, train, and generate perfect AI models.
- Simplify the AI learning process so that different business applications can interact with it.
- Build and maintain chatbots that interact with consumers to answer their queries.
- Communicate across teams to help adopt the AI model for best practice.
- Automate AI infrastructures for the data science team to use.
- Explain the usefulness of the AI models to individuals within the company, including stakeholders and product managers.
- Conduct in-depth statistical analysis and interpret results to direct an organisation’s decision-making approach.
What are the Skills Required to Become an AI Engineer?
The different responsibilities that an AI Engineer handles requires both, software engineer skills and data science knowledge. Mathematical and statistical skills can be further helpful. Let us understand these different skills that an AI engineer should possess.
The important technical skills for an AI engineer are programming and mathematical skills.
Exceptional command in programming languages is a must for the job role as a complete AI model is built and implemented using codes. The common programming languages are R, Java, Python, and C++.
Different big data technologies like Apache Spark, Hadoop and Cassandra will additionally help stream large volumes of data used by the AI engineers.
To understand and execute different AI models like Hidden Markov, Gaussian mixture, and Naive Bayes, one must have a thorough understanding of linear algebra, probability, and statistics.
An artificial intelligence engineer is often required to intercommunicate technical information to a wide range of technical and non-technical individuals within the team. Good written and verbal communication skills will help communicate complicated ideas and concepts in a way everyone can understand.
Critical Thinking Skills
To design an innovative AI model, an engineer may have to develop various possible models to match the perfect one. Strong critical thinking skills can help analyse data quickly and draw reasonable conclusions from them.
Understanding how businesses operate, their target customers and competition will help design successful artificial intelligence projects.
Some other required skills for an AI Engineer include:
- Analytical skills to analyse, review and interpret the best possible solution.
- Collaboration skills for efficient and effective work within a team towards achieving complex goals.
- Time Management skills to effectively manage different tasks and complete them within the deadline.
Salary of an Artificial Intelligence Engineer in India
AI engineers work with renowned companies like Google, IBM, and Meta. They are also employed in government and research institutes to improve public services. The salary of AI engineers differs across organisations based on the knowledge and expertise they bring to the table.
How to Become an Artificial Intelligence Engineer?
To evolve as an expert in artificial intelligence, you can follow these steps:
Acquire the required degree
A bachelor’s degree is essential to begin your career. You can either pick a four-year Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.) programme or opt for a three-year B.Sc. (Bachelor of Science) or related course.
Learn the skills needed
You need to develop strong technical skills, including knowledge of AI tools and programmes. You can learn these skills through in-person or online data science certification courses, designed especially to help you embark on your career in artificial intelligence.
Emeritus India, in collaboration with prestigious universities like IIMs and ISB (Indian School of Business), offers a range of Data Science, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence programmes to help you understand the concepts and identify the best fit models for business situations. You just need to select a course, check the eligibility criteria, and fill out the application form. If selected, you must pay the booking amount within 7 days of selection, and you can pay the balance amount in instalments.
So, without any further ado, sign up for your preferred course today!