What comes to your mind when you hear terms like Leader and Leadership? A leader is someone who has the vision to see how things can be improved and encourage people to work towards a goal.
Whether a business is private, a branch of government, or a non-profit organisation, there is always a need for a leader who can help outline and execute a set vision.
Continue reading to get an in-depth understanding of who a leader is.
Who is a Leader and What is Leadership?
A leader can be defined as a person who:
- Has a vision and the path to discovering a goal.
- Can inspire and motivate a team.
- Ensures that the team members achieve their goals within the set deadlines.
- Develops and executes strategies to achieve certain goals.
Simply put, a leader is a person who influences a group of individuals toward achieving a particular goal.
The concept of leadership
Leadership is the capacity of a person(leader) or a group of people(leaders) to influence and instruct the members of an organisation. Leadership applies driving sound and, at times, difficult decisions to achieve the set goals. Read more about what leadership is and its importance to evolve as a good leader.
What Do Leaders Do?
Leaders set direction and help themselves and others to do the right thing to succeed. Some of the common responsibilities of a leader are:
- Setting goals and encouraging the team to work confidently and enthusiastically.
- Making the road map and directing the team on the right path to accomplish the set goals.
- Effectively organising groups of people with tasks that they can execute well.
- Taking initiatives to share and accept new ideas for the development of the business.
- Ensuring the individuals within the group willingly cooperate and work towards the common objectives.
- Motivating and leading the right direction to the team at challenging periods.
- Creating policies to be pursued by all team members to work towards the organisation’s objectives.
In addition to the above-mentioned responsibilities, a good leader:
- Maintains a positive work environment within the team.
- Builds a trustworthy relationship with the employees.
- Take responsibility for failure and share the success with the team.
- Committed to the deadlines.
- Ensure everyone in the group feels comfortable communicating their creative ideas with them.
- Holds good knowledge of allocating roles to people as per their capability to get the best from them.
Possess knowledge of different types of leadership skills.
What are the Skills Required to Become a Good Leader?
A great leader can identify and hit the right balance between two contrasting ideas. The key skills of an influential leader are:
As a leader, one must be continuously in touch with the team and communicate regularly. Thus, they must have excellent communication skills.
They must have a good command of all forms of communication- one-on-one, departmental, and communication via email, phone, chat, video, and social media.
Planning and Delivery Skills
Good business leaders create a plan, communicate it, and passionately drive it to completion.
Strategic Thinking Skills
This is what differentiates leaders from managers. A leader thinks of an idea and strategically plans steps to achieve it.
People Management Skills
A leader must be capable enough to identify the skills of each employee and delegate duties based on their skill set.
Creative Thinking Skills
As a leader, one must make several decisions. It is not always possible that every decision will have a clear answer, so a leader must be able to think out of the box at times.
Paying reasonable compensation to employees is not always enough to inspire and influence them to go the extra mile. A leader must ensure employees understand their role in the organisation and feel valued.
Salary of a Leader in India
Depending on the type of business, the role, your qualification and years of experience, the salary varies.
In general, the salary of a leader lies between ₹2Lakhs to ₹25 Lakhs [Source].
Also, the salary for a team leader in India ranges from ₹4 Lakhs to ₹19 Lakhs and the annual average salary is around ₹9 Lakhs [Source].Likewise, a business leader’s salary in India ranges from ₹ 4 Lakhs to ₹ 37 Lakhs [Source].
Career Scope of Leaders
Leadership roles cater to deciding how to delegate duties, allocating and managing resources, dealing with interpersonal disputes, handling random problems, nurturing team members’ strengths, managing project progress and developing a vision for the company. Therefore, it is essential to possess relevant skills.
If you feel you need to acquire leadership skills or brush them up to become an effective and instrumental leader, you can always upskill. Emeritus India’s online leadership courses can help you develop management skills and become an effective business leader by covering topics like –
- What is a business strategy?
- What is business simulation?
- What are the in-demand leadership and management skills?
- How to navigate digital transformation?
You can also explore several programmes and choose one that suits your interests.