Marketing engineering is an interesting and distinct career option.
Marketing has evolved from traditional advertisements and discount signs on the shelves and is largely based on data and user insights. Therefore, companies need a marketing engineer to understand and analyse the data and use their findings to create effective and result-oriented sales and marketing campaigns.
This article provides a detailed insight into who a marketing engineer is and what you will need to be one.
Before we understand a marketing engineer’s role, let’s touch on some basic concepts.
Marketing vs Marketing Engineering
Marketing refers to activities a company embarks on to boost the buying or selling of products or services. It involves advertising, promoting, and delivering products to consumers and clients.
Whereas marketing engineering is an organised approach to acquiring data and knowledge to make effective marketing decisions.
Who is a marketing engineer?
Marketing engineers are digital marketing professionals who map innovative marketing strategies for customer engagement. They are in charge of designing marketing plans and campaigns to help achieve the company’s goals.
What does a marketing engineer do?
The responsibilities of marketing engineers are primarily dependent on the type of industry they are working in. However, there are a few core responsibilities that remain the same for all marketing engineers, such as
Performing market research
The prime responsibility of a marketing engineer is to understand the market and competition by researching. The research includes:
- Analysing the business stats and seeking points for improvement.
- Initiating fresh marketing ideas to support the business.
- Analysing competitors and their products and services to understand their marketing strategies.
- Documenting the research report for marketing managers.
Creating a technology-driven campaign
Many consumers have transitioned from offline to online purchases. As a result, technology has become an essential part of marketing. Herein, marketing engineers use their technical knowledge to select the right technology to help businesses grow.
They do this by:
- Updating and optimising the company website to enhance its SEO.
- Creating email campaigns to communicate with potential consumers.
- Creating catchy social media posts to boost the marketing campaign.
Leading the marketing team
Marketing engineers lead projects and teams. They do this by:
- Communicating with the marketing team and making them aware of the different marketing campaigns.
- Collecting and sharing information with the team and encouraging them to create innovative ideas.
- Helping the team in solving their doubts and queries.
- Modifying the ongoing campaigns for better results.
- Participating in the marketing campaign creation process.
Additionally, marketing engineers work on:
Improving online advertising, designing business strategies, and networking with other businesses.
- Presenting technical information in simple language for the non-technical team to understand.
- Supporting sales and marketing efforts in every possible way.
- Training new employees.
What are the skills required to become a marketing engineer?
The key skills that a marketing engineer requires to generate customers’ interest in the company’s products/services and drive sales are:
Marketing engineers should possess excellent customer analysis skills to create appealing marketing campaigns to target a wide audience
They must be able to create innovative marketing campaigns and strategies to develop unique ways to reach customers through different social media platforms.
This skill helps in defining achievable goals and encouraging the team members to work towards them, improving their productivity and efficiency.
Effective communication skills help a marketing engineer convey ideas and communicate with marketing professionals, writers, and designers properly, reducing the chances of miscommunication and related discrepancies.
Leadership skills play a crucial role, as it enables the marketing engineers to oversee, manage and coordinately work with other marketing professionals.
Project management is another essential skill for marketing engineers. The skill enables them to prioritise tasks, delegate duties, manage deadlines and supervise multiple projects at once.
Some other important skills that marketing engineers are expected to possess are:
- Creativity, to think in ways that will enhance brand awareness, increase sales, and drive traffic to the website
- Market research to improve products and make them more appealing to consumers.
- Strategic thinking to understand the impact and influence of different campaigns on clients and customers.
Salary of a marketing engineer in India
The salary of a marketing engineer in India starts from ₹ 2-3 Lakhs and goes up to ₹ 7-10 Lakhs [Source]. The annual average salary lies between ₹ 4-5 Lakhs [Source]. The numbers are approximate and can vary depending on the type of industry, job role, and work experience.
How to become a marketing engineer?
A bachelor’s degree in marketing, advertising or a related field is an important prerequisite to becoming a marketing engineer. However, if you want to stand out from the crowd and gain a competitive edge, upskilling always helps. You can acquire valuable and in-demand marketing skills by undertaking online marketing courses and opening doors to high-paying and exciting job opportunities.
Emeritus India, in partnership with prestigious universities like MICA (Mudra Institute of Communication, Ahmedabad) and IIM, offers a range of sales and marketing courses to impart advanced knowledge of contemporary marketing techniques and their implementation for business growth, helping you become a strategic marketing leader.