There isn’t a perfect tool to increase your productivity. So, if you are searching for the best productivity system to increase efficiency, it is imperative to know that an ideal productivity system’ doesn’t exist. However, you can achieve efficiency with hard work, significant changes, time management techniques, and others.
This article will look at the top three productivity systems that can help you become more efficient and use time judiciously. We will also look at why is productivity system important for employees and employers.
Three Productivity Systems to Increase Efficiency
Productivity systems are tools, mechanisms, methodologies, or practices that allow individuals, groups, or companies to work smarter, not harder. These systems don’t perform the work, but they suggest ways to organise and prioritise things or work that is important and urgent.
Here are the top three productivity systems to help increase your or your organisation’s efficiency and teach you how to manage time judiciously.
The Pomodoro Technique
Our brains get easily distracted. Therefore, The Pomodoro Technique suggests taking a small break during your workday. It is a popular time management technique that helps you keep distractions at bay.
How Does the Productivity System Help Manage Time Efficiently?
The Pomodoro Technique is a simple time management process that helps you compartmentalise work. The Pomodoro timer rings after every 25 minutes, indicating that it’s time to take a short break. This way, there is a perfect balance between work and leisure.
Note: Employees and employers also use this technique to strike a perfect work-life balance. This method breaks complex tasks into small portions, decreasing stress and increasing productivity and focus.
What Are the Advantages Of The Pomodoro Technique?
- It helps in reducing distractions. The Pomodoro Technique helps in reducing distraction by providing you with enough breaks to catch up on important stuff like replying to a message or an email.
- It suggests ways to utilise time. It is hardest to learn how to manage time, and due to this reason, most employees’ productivity decreases. This technique helps you manage time effectively by breaking up larger tasks into smaller fragments. It helps in accomplishing tasks without wasting time.
- It helps you stay focused. It is hard to juggle between different projects or handle a considerable workload. Therefore, The Pomodoro Technique lets you concentrate on one task simultaneously and increases your efficiency and concentration.
What Are the Common Questions to The Pomodoro Technique?
• How many tasks can you select for one Pomodoro?
When choosing this productivity tool to increase efficiency, remember not to burden yourself by adding more tasks. It is recommended to divide a single task into 3-4 sections of 25 minutes.
• Does every Pomodoro have to be of 25 minutes?
No, every Pomodoro does not need to be 25 minutes. You can extend it to the time you want to.
• How many Pomodoro can you do in a day?
It depends on the individual. Perhaps start with three Pomodoro in a day working on three tasks, and then gradually increase it. Also, be considerate about the type and intensity of the task.
• Does the Pomodoro Technique help during remote work?
The Pomodoro Technique is the most effective during remote work. It helps in overcoming productivity-related issues. It increases focus, aids in using time judiciously, and more.
Getting Things Done (GTD) Method
The Getting Things Done or GTD method revolves around getting things in control. It is the process that controls the influx of notifications, screen time, updates, messages, and information you consume in a day. This helps in planning your day and reduces the wastage of time. This method organises your to-do lists, priorities, and schedules into one productivity system.
The five principles of GTD Method
- Capture everything in your mind, and relevant to your schedule or profile needs to be listed first.
- Clarify the importance or relevance of listed tasks to your role and responsibility or the specific day
- Organise tasks to their relevant folders
- Reflect on your listed tasks that are captured and clarified
- Engage in regular review and maintenance of the listed tasks
What Are the Common Questions Related to The GTD Method?
• What are the steps undertaken in the GTD method?
The five steps undertaken in the GTD method are capture, clarify, organise, reflect, and engage. Following these methods, you can become more efficient and productive.
• Is the GTD method like the To-do list?
Although GTD and to-do lists are the two most popular traditional productivity tools, they are not similar. For instance, you might write “complete performance review by next week” in a to-do list. However, in a GTD list, you will jot down “talk to the HR”, “arrange templates”, “talk to the staff”, and so on.
Task batching is a cognitive productivity system concentrating on completing one task simultaneously. It believes single-tasking is the most favourable way to enhance your brain’s performance.
In this method, you group similar tasks to eliminate taxing of the brain, maximise productivity, and keep the mind fresh and happy. There are three kinds of functions:
- Low concentration: emails
- Medium concentration: meetings and client calls
- High concentration: writing, research
Therefore, while dividing tasks, bifurcate tasks accordingly.
How Does Task Batching Work?
Step 1: Create a to-do list of the maps and goals. In this step, you need to break the project into smaller tasks.
Step 2: Dedicate a stipulated timeline to every batch. This will help you set and achieve goals.
Step 3: Group similar tasks together to save time and efficiency. Club them based on intensity.
Step 4: Plan the days you will be working on a specific task and execute the plan.
Step 5: Block your time for about 30-60 minutes and maintain focus. Also, don’t forget to take extended breaks, which can be more productive.
Here Are Some Other Productivity Tools Commonly Used By Businesses And Employees:
- To-do List
- Eat the Frog
- Time Blocking
- Bullet Journaling
- Single Tasking
What is the Importance of Productivity Systems?
- To avoid cognitive fatigue caused due to haphazard time management and inefficiency is one of the main reasons for introducing a productivity system in your organisation.
- To reduce the number of decisions taken daily across the organisation. An efficient organisation and its team members know their roles and responsibilities satisfactorily. So, there are fewer decisions taken by the senior management on their behalf.
- To maintain a positive brand or professional image, a productive system must be followed, emphasising timeliness, efficiency, and quality.
Does Upskilling Improve Productivity?
Ever wondered if upskilling can improve your or an organisation’s productivity? Well, if being underqualified or lacking skills is one of the reasons for your inefficient working routine, taking an advanced course will solve your problem.
Emeritus India has some of the best-advanced courses offered in association with renowned Indian universities. These certification courses in product management, marketing, sales, finance, and others.
Enrolling in our courses will help you secure the top-paying jobs in the country and build a prosperous career path.