Interviews are a part of every professional’s life. But they are even trickier for a human resources candidate. You will be interviewed to take up the responsibility of interviewing people. Factors like communication skills and the presence of the mind will be tested. Hence, it is best to be prepared as much as possible.
This article will discuss the common HR interview questions and answers in detail. It will also offer guidance on how to build a successful career in HR and the skills required by HR professionals.
Key learning from this article:
- What is HR management?
- What are common HR interview questions?
- How to crack the HR interview round?
- How to make a lucrative career in HR?
- What are the skills required by a successful HR professional?
Top HR Interview Questions for Freshers
It is hard to clear the HR interview round when you have little work experience in the domain. However, preparing answers for common HR interview questions increases your chance of getting the job.
- Why did you choose HR?
Interviewers ask this question to understand if you have a clearly defined career path.
Therefore, take the interviewer through your career path. Talk to them about your skills, motivation behind choosing human resources, and your experience working as an HR professional (if any).
- What is your dream job?
This question helps the hiring managers understand your long-term goals and career objectives. They also try to understand your motivation behind choosing the field, skills acquired during your internship, and how you will fit into their organisation based on your answer.
Therefore, talk about the leaders or people who motivate you to do better every day. In addition, talk about the circumstances that led you to your current job and where you see yourself in ten years.
- How do you handle work pressure?
Typically, interviewers ask this question to experienced HR professionals to determine their performance during a stressful situation or pressure. However, HR professionals, irrespective of their work experience, need to be patient and resilient.
Here’s a sample answer to this common HR interview question:
I do meditation or yoga to deal with work stress. I also perform physical exercise to keep my mind and body relaxed and refreshed to deal with the pressure.
- Why do you want to work with us?
It is one of the typical HR interview questions asked by the interviewer. Recruiters ask this HR interview question to understand a candidate’s determination and willingness to learn and adapt to the new environment quickly. Also, to ascertain if they (fresher) can fit into their company’s work culture.
Technical HR Interview Questions for Freshers
Sometimes recruiters might ask technical HR interview questions to freshers in their first face-to-face meeting. Therefore, we have listed common HR interview questions and their answers.
- What is the meaning of management? Describe the essential functions of management.
Management is summarised as the process of bringing people together to achieve a common goal. Planning, organising, directing, controlling, and reviewing are some of the essential functions of management.
- What is HRIS? Why do HR professionals Use it?
Human resources information system (HRIS) is software regularly used by HR professionals to maintain, manage, and store information related to employees.
HR professionals widely use software to increase their efficiency and productivity.
- What are the qualities of an HR Professional?
HR professionals possess skills like intuition, empathy, versatility, flexibility, and focus that help them complete their roles and responsibilities efficiently.
Situation-Based HR Interview Questions for Freshers
Situation-based HR interview questions help recruiters understand different facets of an aspirant’s personality. Here are some common situation-based HR interview questions for freshers.
- What is the difference between hard work and smart work?
- How do you feel working on weekends or night shifts?
- What would you do if you won a massive lottery?
The answers to these questions must reflect a part of your personality. So, think twice before answering situation-based interview questions.
- What is HR management?
Human resource management, commonly abbreviated as HRM/HR, focuses on strategic and tactful workforce management.It is an administrative function that aligns the goals and objectives of an organisation with its employees.
- How to start a career in HR?
It is easier to make a career in the HR industry if you plan your life, education, and work experience around the field. You can start by pursuing a bachelor’s degree in HRM or a similar field, and slowly move to on-job training programmes to develop specific skills and expand your knowledge. Moreover, pursuing the right degree will open doors to exciting work opportunities.
- How to build a career inHR?
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to build a career in HR:
- Concentrate on the start. Pursue the right bachelor’s degree and consider taking a master’s degree to enhance your career prospects.
- Take field-specific training programmes. Since HR is a vast field, it is recommended to take advanced training programmes to gain a competitive advantage.
- Take up an internship programme matching your field of study.
- Pursue advanced courses in HRM.
- What are the skills required by HR professionals?
We’ve put together the top skills every HR professional must possess to develop a successful career:
- Time management skills
- Communication skills
- Human resource management expertise
- Basic knowledge about recruitment and hiring
- Analytical skills
Suppose you are searching for ways to develop or hone the skills mentioned above. In that case, it is highly recommended to undertake a certification course in human resource management offered by Emeritus India in partnership with reputed institutes like IIM, ISB, IIT, etc.
Joining our programmes will help you enhance you skills and expand your knowledge.
- What are the tips &tricks for top HR interview questions?
- Brush up on all the important concepts and above-listed HR interview questions the day before. It is highly recommended to undertake one of the HR courses online to gain a deep insight into the important concepts and practical knowledge about the field
- Dress appropriately and try to reach for the interview on time
- Be an active listener and answer only after comprehending the question completely
- Establish eye contact and demonstrate confidence
- Carry all the important documents, and do not forget to ask the right questions