blog / Digital Marketing
What are the Roles and Responsibilities of an SEO Specialist
Most marketers think that sprinkling a few keywords throughout a webpage is what an SEO specialist does. However, SEO specialists perform an array of duties that go beyond keyword searches. They perform tasks like testing and analysing different elements of an online website, optimising website content, enhancing an ad’s ranking on a search engine, and more.
Let’s discuss in detail the role and responsibilities of an SEO specialist.
In this article, you will learn:
- What is SEO?
- Who are SEO specialists?
- What are their role and responsibilities?
- What skills are required to become a SEO specialist?
- How to become an SEO specialist?
What is SEO?
SEO stands for search engine optimisation, a set of practices designed to improve the appearance and positioning of a web page in organic search results. A good SEO strategy enhances the quality and quantity of traffic.
Who is an SEO Specialist?
SEO specialists are trained digital marketing professionals with in-depth expertise in research and analysis. They are skilled SEO professionals who can improve a website’s ranking in organic search results.
SEO specialists usually work in digital marketing agencies, web development companies or in-house marketing teams at enterprises.
Here are the Two Main Aspects of an SEO Specialist’s Role:
- Finding trending keywords related to a brand that people use in search engine queries
- Creating a list of keywords to add to the web content to help them rank organically on search engine results
What Are the Roles and Responsibilities of an SEO Specialist?
- Test, collect, and analyse data, identify SEO trends, and gain insights about target customers’ likes and dislikes to maximise ROI from an SEO campaign
- Track, report and analyse web analytics data and the various search engine marketing (SEM) campaigns
- Manage campaign costs, ensure budgets are not exceeded, calculate monthly campaign costs, and take necessary steps to adhere to the budgets
- Optimise website copy and landing pages for SEM
- Undertake research, expansion, and refinement of keyword
- Research and understand the SEO efforts of competitors
- Develop and execute off-page SEO through link building
- Work in collaboration with different teams to ensure best practices are deployed
How to Become an SEO Specialist
Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in marketing or information technology (IT) is the first step towards developing a career in SEO. You can also take a master’s degree in marketing or IT to learn diverse skills. After completing your degree, you can take up a job as an SEO specialist.
Here’s a general hierarchy in the SEO field:
- SEO Specialist
- Senior SEO Specialist
- SEO Manager
In order to transition into managerial position, you can take up a certificate course, which will give you excellent exposure to modern SEO strategies and real-world use cases of SEO and other attributes such as on-page SEO, off-page SEO, content marketing, web analytics courses and web designing.
Emeritus India offers some of the best online digital marketing courses in partnership with reputed institutes like IIM, IIT, and ISB. These programmes are designed for fresh graduates and working professionals to skyrocket their career prospects.
Additionally, you will get well-versed in modern digital marketing strategies and tools.
Interviews are a part of every professional’s life. To secure your dream job, you must prepare for the interview round beforehand. Here are some SEO interview questions that will likely be asked during your face-to-face interview round.
Commonly Asked SEO Interview Questions
- What is SEO?
- Why is SEO important?
- What are the types of SEO?
- What search engines have you worked on?
- What are the components of SEO strategy?
- How does a search engine determine a page’s SEO score?
- What is the difference between white hat and black hat SEO?
- What is the difference between organic and paid SEO?
- What is AMP?
- Do you have experience in mobile SEO?
- How do you conduct SEO audits?
- How do you do competition analysis?
- How do you improve a landing page’s quality?
- What are the skills required to become an SEO specialist?
- Critical thinking
- Research minded
- Knowledge of analytics
- Quick decision-making skills
- Flexibility and resilient
- Good with content writing
- Fundamental knowledge of web design and development
- Well-versed with how the internet works
- Technical and programming skills
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Excel
- Why become an SEO specialist?
Here are some reasons why you must become an SEO specialist:
- Easy to start a career in the field
- Increasing demand for SEO services across industries
- Lucrative work opportunities
- Promising career development and growth opportunities
- What is the basic salary of an SEO specialist?
The basic salary of an SEO Specialist in India is INR 4,34,000 per annum.
- What are the qualifications required to become an SEO Specialist?
To become an SEO specialist, you must get a degree or diploma in IT, business, technology, or marketing. You can also take certificate courses from Emeritus India for hands-on training on best SEO practices.
- What are some everyday tasks an SEO specialist handles daily?
An SEO specialist tackles many kinds of tasks in a day; here, we have listed a few:
- Keyword research
- Link building
- URL building
- Coordination with different departments