There are many notions as to what a leader is, as opposed to the manager – insightful, inspiring, and intuitive rather than directing, controlling, and commanding. However, in real life, it is hard to distinguish between a leader and a manager.
Nevertheless, over the years, many industry experts have tried tooth and nail to differentiate the roles and responsibilities of managers and leaders, and many have succeeded in it too. So, here we have pointed out the key differences between managers and leaders that would make it easy to understand the difference between them.
What’s the Difference Between Leaders and Managers?
Leaders and managers share some essential characteristics; however, many dissimilarities make them distinct. While leadership is about building a vision for people to follow, management is looking after the day-to-day operations of a business. So, here are some more differences between leaders and managers.
|Leaders have missions to accomplish||Managers are goal-oriented|
|Leaders challenge the status quo||Managers maintain or try to achieve the status quo|
|Leaders are unique||Managers mimic their competitors|
|Leaders take risk||Managers avoid taking risk|
|Leaders are willing to learn and grow personally||Managers perfect existing, proven skills|
|Leaders build relationships||Managers focus on goals and objectives|
|Leaders coach people to become a better version of themselves||Managers direct people to achieve the company goal|
|Results of leadership are intangible||Results of management is measurable|
|Leadership is qualitative||Management is quantitative|
|Leaders have fans||Managers have employees|
What Are the Traits a Leader Possesses?
Leaders are individuals who may not possess or display power; instead, they would use human assistance to accomplish a goal. A great leader is someone who can do this day after day, and year after year, under any circumstance.
Here are some of the effective leadership skills and personality traits every leader must imbibe to become successful:
1. Passionate: Leaders are people with a plan. They have their eyes set on the goal and therefore work hard towards achieving them. They also motivate others to achieve their goals by guiding and directing them.
2. Virtuous: A good leader should be transparent with his people because honesty reduces miscommunication and internal feuds in the team.
3. Empathetic: A leader should be an empathetic being as it will help them in developing a strong bond with their team. Furthermore, being empathetic toward others will help a leader to address and solve the problems and complaints of their team members.
4. Communication skills: Leaders possess great communication skills. They are transparent with their team and share failures and successes with them.
5. Open-mindedness and creativity: A good leader is someone who is open to new ideas and accepting of other people’s perspectives. Being a good and effective leader means understanding that there is no right way to do things. Therefore, a good leader is always ready to listen, observe, and be willing to change. They are also out-of-the-box thinkers and encourage their team to do so.
What Are the Traits a Manager Must Possess?
A manager is the backbone of any business. They are responsible for the smooth functioning of the business. A manager’s responsibility ranges from monitoring day-to-day business activities to scouting human resources. To undertake these difficult tasks, a manager must possess some unique personality traits. Here are some of the effective management skills and personality traits of a successful manager.
1. Control: A manager is responsible for monitoring daily business transactions. So, they need to be controlled to ensure desired results.
2. Team-oriented: A good manager must address the issues of his team. He should motivate them to do their best in any circumstances. They must implement the right work ethic and culture in the team and ensure everyone follows it.
3. Good communicator: A good manager must strive to become a good communicator. Managers are the key between top-level management and low-level management; therefore, they need good interpersonal skills to avoid conflict in the company.
4. Dependable: A manager should be easy-going and dependable; this characteristic allows employees to trust and depend on you.
5. Process management: Managers are responsible for introducing the right work culture and ethics in the company. Therefore, a manager must be someone who has a clear vision and understands the goals of an organization.
Though there is no litmus test to determine if someone is a manager or leader, however, a few differences between an effective leader’s and a manager’s personality traits mentioned above make the line of distinction between them clearer. Now, let’s move to the ways in which the effectiveness of leadership and management can be measured and understood.
How to Measure Effective Leadership?
Your team’s code of conduct and culture is a great variables to measure effective leadership. For instance, many members in your team take frequent leaves or are disengaged and disgruntled. Then you might be an inefficient leader. Similarly, if any of your team members is demotivated and feels they are not progressing in their career, you may want to reconsider your leadership skills.
How to Measure Effective Management?
Effective management can be measured with the quantity and quality of output, and adherence to budgets, among other things. If your team is failing at producing the desired results constantly, then it is time to change your managerial style. You can work with your team to understand the areas you are failing as a manager and try to make changes accordingly. Or else you can consider taking short learning programmes to hone your managerial skills.
Emeritus India offers world-class executive education to working professionals from different parts of the world. We have partnered with institutes like the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Calcutta, IIM Lucknow, Indian School of Business (ISB) to create high-impact executive education programmes. There are many leadership and management courses offered by Emeritus that will give your career the boost it requires.