Who is an IT Manager? Know the Salary, Skills & Career Scope
An Information technology manager or IT manager directs all the computer-related initiatives in an organisation to meet business necessities.
Information technology plays an increasingly important role in the development and success of businesses today. This makes a properly functioning IT team led by a highly skilled and capable IT manager is important.
An IT manager’s job role is to take accountability, manage problems and prioritise tasks. Keep reading for information on the skills and salary range of an information technology manager.
Who is an IT Manager?
Information technology managers are the professionals who help an organisation navigate, the ever-changing technology. They are responsible for coordinating, planning, and directing computer-related exercises in an organisation.
Generally, IT managers hold a bachelor’s degree in computer science or information technology or a corresponding field with relevant work experience.
What Does an IT Manager Do?
An IT manager’s prime responsibility is to understand an organisation’s IT needs and execute computer systems to satisfy the organisation’s IT requirements.
The dimensions of an IT manager’s responsibilities vary from organisation to organisation. In some places, the focus is only on computer networks. While in other places the focus can be on addressing telecommunications systems and other electronic support systems associated with the company operations. Some standard responsibilities of this position are:
- Governing the IT and computer systems of an organisation.
- Managing and evaluating IT and other electronic data operations.
- Designing, moulding, executing and coordinating systems, guidelines, and procedures.
- Running checks on network systems and data security regularly and sharing them with senior managers.
- Acting as a supervisor for other IT members, conducting team training and extending their skills.
- Recognising progress opportunities and updating the software systems.
- Troubleshooting hardware and software concerns related to internal IT systems.
Skills Required to Become an IT Manager
According to the IT manager definition, they act as leaders and function as a mentor to their teammates. Also, managing the IT roadmap, and reporting the performance are their prime responsibilities. The key skills that help excel in IT management are:
- Strong technical, programming and software skills to understand the IT need of the client.
- Knowledge of preparing and deploying IT infrastructure and related applications.
- Problem-solving skills, to manage conflict, risk, cost, and time.
- Project management skills, for effective team management and functioning.
- Critical thinking ability, to understand business operations, processes, and workflow.
- Excellent leadership skills, to influence, build relationships and mentor the team.
- Outstanding communication skills, for effective communication with the team and other managers.
Salary of an IT Manager in India
IT Manager Salary in India starts from ₹ 3 Lakhs-₹ 4 Lakhs and goes up to ₹ 25 Lakhs- ₹ 30 Lakhs. The average annual salary is somewhere around ₹ 9 Lakhs-₹ 11 Lakhs. However, the salary of an IT manager is not a fixed number, it depends on factors like;
Type of Company
– Depending on the company you are working for, its size, or your position in the company, your salary varies.
Type of Industry
– In the technology-driven era, IT managers are needed in a wide range of sectors. Finance, Education Management, Marketing, Accounting, Healthcare, Manufacturing and Business Development are some of the major industries for IT professionals. Hence, depending upon the industry the salary varies.
– The salary also varies from city to city, and thus the cost of living also contributes to the compensation grades.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
– In addition to the academic background there is a need for industry standards skills to stand out in the competition.
Proven experience in technological management, information analysis, computer hardware and software systems are added benefits to the salary compensation.
Career Scope of an IT Manager
Information technology is a vast domain that surrounds many disciplines, we are living in a time when computer technology has evolved and led to many career options. For an IT manager, a related degree and technical and communication skills provide a lot of room for growth within the industry.
So, if you want to build or advance your career in IT, it is highly recommended to acquire in-demand skills and gain an in-depth understanding of the subject. You don’t need to undertake long-term courses or quit your current job for this. Instead, you can go for Emeritus India’s short-term online courses to upskill yourself.
We offer some of the finest IT courses online in collaboration with reputed institutes like IIT, IIM and ISB Executive Education. These courses are designed to provide you with a cutting-edge technological experience, helping you develop cross-disciplinary skills in information technology and business management.